Sentimental & Superstitious Fly Fishing Ways

by Rebecca on October 30, 2012

Woman's Waders

Good Redington Waders juju

I’ve already mentioned that I have a sentimental soul when it comes to my gear and rivers.

So here it is, naturally I lean towards the superstitious side of the coin. When I really think about it, Sentimental and Superstitious are like leader to tippet, so maybe I’m not all that ‘out there’ in my ways.

Sentimental and Superstitious ways can be an issue when introducing new gear to my routine.

For Example:

• New hat and don’t catch a fish the first day I’m wearing it…well, it’s bad hat juju.
  • New fly box and break off every fish I stick? Negative fly box mojo.
  • New leader that fish keep shying away from? Voodoo vibes of course.
  • And so on…

The fact I could just be having a bad day on the water is clearly not a option to consider when you use sentimental and superstitious ways to measure a successful day.

It just doesn’t work that way…

So when I recently acquired new Redington Sonic Pro Waders and Willow River wading boots, I was understandably nervous about their unknown standing in superstitious vibes.

One bad day on the river could have been a gray cloud hovering over my opinion of them.

The good news: Not only were they extremely comfortable, I had no issues catching fish while sporting them on the water.

In other words, Redington passed the Sentimental & Superstitious test with flying colors and can stay in my fly fishing arsenal.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who measures their gear against river juju, mojo and voodoo vibes…

Fly Fish ChickNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

oh I am very superstitious with football and fishing! I totally have at least one or two extra hats on hand to try and change the mojo if needed

and no bananas in the boat. ever.

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

Christine,
Ok, since you admitted it, I’ll admit it too…I also bring back up mojo to the river in case the vibes aren’t in my favor for the day. You can never be to careful with fly fishing mojo!! =)

Furthermore…voodoo curse to those who bring bananas to the water.
That’s just the rules.

AileenNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Have comfortable AND well-fitting women’s waders is good mojo.
No droopy-butt-waders.

RebeccaNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

No, no droopy butt in these waders…and no umpire knees =)

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Well, as you may know, I have one hat that I refer to as my Lucky Fishing Hat. I don’t always catch fish while wearing it, but I’ve only caught one fish while not wearing it. That’s enough to make me superstitious about it. Admittedly I am also a slave to fashion which may be another reason why I never leave home without it.

RebeccaNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

We all know it’s your incredible fashion sense that keeps you sporting that lucky hat! Makes you look like Indiana Jones the Fly Fishing Guru.

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Well, I dunno about Indiana Jones, but it does make me look taller…

ShoremanNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm

No Rebecca, you’re not the only one. I have that same old blue Duluth Trading ball cap I’ve worn since the dawn of time and I don’t think I’ll ever get a new one.

RebeccaNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I like that. Fishing gear loyalty!

Howard LevettNo Gravatar October 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Worse than bad gear mojo is the bad body mojo I’ve got. I always catch fish in my dreams. Perhaps if I stop going and just stay home and sleep I can shift things around.

RebeccaNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm

LOL, I don’t know about that notion Howard, so I’d suggest finding that one piece of gear that brings you good mojo on the water.

MelNo Gravatar October 31, 2012 at 11:09 am

By way of getting the “drift” of your post, it would be wise of me to say that when I recently bought my new Korkers and promptly went boulder bouncing off the rocky hillside, head over heels, that would be bad “Korker’ mojo!

RebeccaNo Gravatar November 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Mel,

I’d say in this case, you’ll have to suck it up and give those Korkers a chance at mojo redemption.

Now if you eat dirt again, you may want to take a look at the Redington line of boots =) Wishing you luck!!

Fred TelleenNo Gravatar November 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I’m 100% with Christine on NO Bananas. I have about 50 hats, but wear the same 2 or 3 over and over because they just feel right and feeling right has a lot to do with fishing focus. Otherwise, I don’t worry to much about my specific gear with one exception. If I miss a couple fish on a hook, even if it is still sharp or freshly sharpened, I usually replace it with a new one. Bad hook mojo is a terrible thing.

Steve ZNo Gravatar November 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, we all have our irrational rationalizations which, to us, are neither irrational nor rationalizations.

That last photo is lovely.

bob strebNo Gravatar November 8, 2012 at 7:13 am

JuJu is real.
Awesome blog, love your take on things, keep it tight

shuckstuckNo Gravatar November 12, 2012 at 5:08 am

I’ve just come across your blog in the last few days. Love it! I’m a UK fly fisherman and very jealous of all the space you have to fish in. The decent rivers here are mostly prohibitively expensive to fish and so, more and more, I fish for grayling outside the trout season.

I’m not superstitious. A bad day’s fishing is nearly always my fault – noisy, clumsy, impatient and plagued by wind knots even when there’s no wind! I love every minute nonetheless. I am sentimental however. The first fly I ever tied was an ugly, monstrous buzzer which will never see the water but which is always in my fly box whenever I go fishing.

Keep up the good work Rebecca.