Sometimes it takes Two Flies…

by Rebecca on September 26, 2012

Zebra Midge Recovery

You know what your Momma says, if at first you don’t succeed, try again.

I know losing flies is sort of the price of admission in fly fishing, but I really hate when a fly goes missing.

Maybe it’s the Momma in me who hates to lose one of her tiny kids in the wilds. Or the Sargent in me that insists all her troops return safely to their fly box. Never leave a man err, fly behind.

It could also be the fact that when I first started fly fishing I couldn’t really afford to buy flies and to lose one meant a serious personal blow to my limited fly options. Perhaps I’m still holding onto that frugal mentality all these years later.

Which is why it felt like a mini-celebration when I snapped off a little Zebra midge recently with a bad hook set, retied another Zebra and hooked the fish again.

Best fly retrieval I’ve ever experienced…

I shall deem this fish, Two Timer

Thank You Rachel Morgan for taking pictures!

cofisherNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

I feel the same way. It doesn’t bother nearly as much as it did several years ago because I tie more often than I used to, but still. Last weekend on Boulder Creek I must have lost a dozen flies. The only saving grace is that my friend Tim was finding flies while pulling his own out of trees. I felt a little redemption.

RebeccaNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

The next time I lose a fly in a tree and climb up the bugger for a retrieval, I’m going to pay closer attention to the branches around it. Maybe I can find some orphans!

Steve ZNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 8:07 am

Woohoo! $0.89 saved! I guess this goes against the conventional wisdom that pricking a fish causes it to spook. You must have been snapping it in just the right way.

I wish I could get back that Olive Wooley Bugger from the cuttbow on Slough Creek.

RebeccaNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

It was a quick snap off and after a few minutes that fish went back to feeding.

Yay…that was quite the fly loss on Slough Creek. I should mention, I went back there last weekend and tried to retrieve your fly. No dice…AND no bears!

the river damselNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Love it! I have had a banner month in lost and not found… And we know how valuable those little midges are!

RebeccaNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

Zebra is Z Best

Nick@BrookfieldAngler.comNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

haha! Awesome!

I have put my fly gear down for a couple of weeks and have been hitting the harbors of Lake Michigan for king salmon. I lost a monster that took one of my favorite crankbaits and hope to catch him so I can get it back!

RebeccaNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

Get ‘Em!

AZWanderingsNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Very nice.

Ben

RebeccaNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

KevNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’ve tried to be frugal like that. Right now I know I have flies that are 5yrs old that I have never used. I tried to go one year with out buying flies. It was tough. I tied more than I ever have. It helped me really figure out what the fish were feeding on. It was horrible when I already knew what they were feeding on and I didn’t have the fly to match.

ShoremanNo Gravatar September 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I take losing flies as a cost of fly fishing, but to catch the fish that took your previous one, what are the odds?

MelNo Gravatar September 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

Rebecca, I have been using and losing flies for over (30) years, and, never had the good luck to hook the same fish and retrieve my flies back. Someday, you will have to show me the technique for it!

FontinezNo Gravatar December 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

I know that frugal feeling. I lost a hopper once on a bad set and retrieved it a day later. My father was impressed, not by my fishing skills, but my determination to save a buck.

Men That FishNo Gravatar March 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

luck was in your favor that day :) got the fish and the fly.