Found the Fishing Hat, Left my Heart…

by Rebecca on August 16, 2012

Outdooress

Photo By Steve — Sipping Emergers

Found the missing Hat and few new Friends ~
With Marc Payne from A Perfect Drift

I’ve been back for almost 2 weeks from my trip to Yellowstone and I’m still struggling to wrap up everything I experienced, participated and witnessed for the written word.

At this point I’d say I left my heart (once again) back in Yellowstone and I’m at odds with myself over being home. In the last hours before I made myself leave, I was entertaining visions of taking off into the back country on foot never to be seen again.

Being known as the crazy lady who can occasionally be glimpsed walking a ridge in Yellowstone has a certain appeal I can’t shake off.

I might have done it, disappeared into the wilds of Yellowstone, but Steve of Sipping Emergers – also known by me that entire week as ‘He who has the bear spray is my new best friend’ – was leaving as well. With his bear spray.

Someday….

The group of people I had the privilege of hanging out with for the week were amazing. It took less than an hour the first night to comfortably kick back in the knowing that I was with ‘my kind of folks’ and feel excited to see what the week would bring.

The week flew by with fly fishing, fish conservation,  fish killing, a bear encounter, learning, exploring and a constant stream of laughter.

I’ll get to writing about it all.

As soon as I get visions of being an elusive Yellowstone hermit out of my mind.

JohnNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Glad you found your hat and looking forward to reading about Yellowstone. If you disappear into Yellowstone bring a good portable internet connection hub so we can read about your experience. That would be a good read for sure

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

A satellite hub and I’d be all set to hide out ~

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

The visor was found; that’s important. A great time was had by all; that’s exceptional. If you drop off the grid and become Ms. Jeremiah Johnson, all hell will break loose on a few of my websites. I want you to be happy, but I’m also selfish. Don’t go…

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I can only imagine the mess you’d make of everything I’ve built if you were left to your own devices for even a month.

I won’t go…yet.

Fontinalis RisingNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Pretty cool Rebecca. We all have that dream, countered by a dose of reality. If it’s not bears, it’s bugs or bills or family.

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Is it overly cliche for me to mutter the words — “Reality Bites”

ShoremanNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

How is it that you and Emily always run into bears? I wander around the woods of Northern California and never see one. The only bear I get is mauling my trash can.

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Well this bear encounter is really my first legit one for my lifetime. I’ve envisioned the scenario a thousand times, but what my mind always thought would happen vs. what actually happened was a lot different.

Mainly because my arse survived the ordeal. I learned a few lessons though and will write about it soon =)

SandersNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I felt that way after last years trip…kinda still do. My wife would understand…wouldn’t she?

looking forward to the parts of the story that you don’t keep for yourself…

Cheers

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I imagine the feeling never goes away and as Jason said above, the whole reality thing gets a bit in the way.

Then again, we could all make it a group effort, disappear into the Yellowstone wilds for a summer and give the tourists something to watch for on the mountain side besides bears.

Steve ZNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I’m still day dreaming about walking off the gird….

The River DamselNo Gravatar August 17, 2012 at 6:29 am

Bec ~ The way I see it… Yellowstone is a hop, skip, and a jump for you and me. Hence, I am there next weekend for my b-day! The only thing I wanted was to head up to Yellowstone with my bear spray fastened over my shoulder and fish the Lamar. I did feel more in my comfort zone last time up…(ugh, June!) with the spray. But, I still can pass on seeing Yogi. Yellowstone is continued “learning”… Can’t wait to hear the rest!

Julie SendraNo Gravatar August 17, 2012 at 7:22 am

Miss seeing you in Boise, but I am sure you can understand that now that I live just outside Yellowstone and ON the Yellowstone River that it is hard to pull myself away! You have a place to stay, rest, or talk stories ANY TIME you are up this way!

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar August 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Glad you had a good time in Yellowstone. Look forward to hearing more of your adventures. But if I were you, I’d take Julie up on her offer…a lot…

Jim SwayzeNo Gravatar September 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

So… Did I miss it? Where did you leave your hat and how did you get it back?