Missing: 1 Lucky Fishing Hat

by Rebecca on July 17, 2012

sage fly fishing visor

Where art thou fishing hat…

I grow rather fond of my fishing gear, irrationally so…

I have lucky flies, lucky hats, lucky shirts, lucky fly bags and lucky fly rods. I’m not sure if these things are actually lucky, but I grow attached to my gear. We — meaning myself and my gear — bond during time together on the water, collecting memories as we go.

I’m a sentimental fool that way.

I’ve been piling up gear for a trip to Yellowstone next week and I can’t find my lucky Sage visor which is (of course) the only hat I wanted to take.

If I give into my superstitious nature, I’d say this indicates some type of bad omen. A premonition of bad juju that will occur on the trip.

The lead voodoo consequence playing through my mind currently:
Missing Lucky Sage Visor = I’m Grizzly Bear Bait for sure.

(Remember that prediction if I become a Grizzly Bear attack headline!)

For the life of me I can’t remember the exact location I last wore this specific hat. So if any of you are wandering the waters in Idaho, Oregon, Canada, or Montana and spot a lonely Sage visor on the banks, grab it for me.

If I survive Yellowstone without a Grizzly attack, we’ll set up a reunion.

Lucky Hats are priceless

cofisherNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Oh you had to mention grizzly bear attacks didn’t you? Buy a new visor!!

RebeccaNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I’ve been studying up on Grizzly evasive maneuvers this week! A new visor wouldn’t have any ‘luck’ in it yet.

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Well, the good thing is that West Yellowstone has 173 fly shops. Surely one of them will have a suitable replacement.

And bear spray.

RebeccaNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm

You know you can’t introduce a new hat in prime fly fishing territory. That’s a classic rule of fishing hats.

But Bear spray, unused is golden.

Arctic GraylingNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

It’s a sign from the Fish Gods!!!

They are telling you that you really should have a Winston hat instead, and of course you should be fishing Winston rods!!!

RebeccaNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

LOL, well I don’t know about the Winston hat, but I would certainly be game for a Winston rod =)

ShoremanNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Oh, but we are a superstitious lot aren’t we. You still have a week, keep looking.

MelNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Rebecca, isn’t it hilarious how we seem to put “luck” and good fishing hand in hand with some sort of hat, shirt, rod, etc.
On the other hand, a bad day of fishing, can cause a superstitious angler to resort to a lot of strange goings on. Hope you find your hat!

BarbaraNo Gravatar July 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Not to mention diamond watches! Sorry we missed you guys last week. Hope everything is going well. We miss you!

Fred TelleenNo Gravatar July 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

What you need is a visor with a Counter Assault holder on one side and a Klaxon Air Horn holder on the other. Bears will fear you.

Steve ZNo Gravatar August 2, 2012 at 8:08 am

I feel your pain. I went to a wounded warriors event at the VA a few months ago. For some reason, I wore my lucky hat. While I was doing a fly tying demo the hat disappeared.

It seems we both made out okay on the bear front though we did have a few moments of anxiety. Now if only the fishing were better….

JustinNo Gravatar September 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

How was your fishing trip? Hope you find your missing hat :)