Dear Fly Fishing Santa

by Rebecca on December 12, 2011

I'll take 1 Stream Tech Drift Boat and 1 Derek Young --- Pretty Please with Candy Canes on Top

Dear Fly Fishing Santa,

Obviously you didn’t get my letter last year requesting a Drift Boat and one bonus Elf to row it for me. I am still Drift Boat-Elf-less.

However, you should know straight up. I forgive you for this oversight.

We are good. No hard feelings or grudges are being held on my part. As for that tangent I may have had after last Christmas, it’s water under the bridge. The past is the past. Embrace forgiveness. A Santa fisherman knows peace in his heart, not anger and all that jazz. So really, there’s no reason to hold back on me this year.

Spare Elf?

Besides, I don’t think it’s fair to start ticking check marks in the ‘bad column’ on the 26th of December for the NEXT Christmas.

There should be a grace period. A truce zone. A set of days that people around the globe can wave the white flag and let it all out without worrying about the repercussions of their next Christmas standings with you.

I’d suggest re-setting the check mark system to zero on January 1st. Just being helpful here.

Anyway…It’s come to my attention that the hold up over my drift boat may not be about erroneous check marks, but rather with my request that you toss an Elf in with the package.

I’ve seen your Christmas shows and it sure seems like there are A LOT of Elves running around your Northern Compound and you could spare one, but perhaps I was wrong.

No worries, I’ve found a PERFECT substitution to the Elf hang up.

This Derek Young Please

Keep your Elves and instead include Derek Young for my bonus.

Now, in case you have a choice of Derek Young’s up there, I would like to be clear about the make and model I need.

Please make sure he’s the 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide of the Year Derek Young. Specifically the one that runs Emerging Rivers Guide Services in the off Christmas season.

See Santa…Elf problem solved!

As a Fly Fishing Santa, I have no doubt you will recognize the wisdom in my Christmas Wish List, but the necessity of it as well.

To Recap, Reiterate and make this Official:

Dear Fly Fishing Santa,

I would like 1 StreamTech ”Salmonfly” or “Green Drake” drift boat.
Either one would be just fine and dandy with me.

Please toss 1 Derek Young in for rowing and guiding.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Anne

P.S. You are welcome on the “SalmonFly” or is it gonna be the “Green Drake” ? —anytime

cofisherNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

Nice going Rebecca. Way to clarify. Santa if you’re still listening…I’d also like…never mind, I’ll be in touch.

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I know one thing you wanted from Santa this year, is there more??

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Well, nobody can accuse you of being subtle ;) And your choice of a boat is exceptional.
I cut out the middle man (Santa) and have gone straight to the source, asking Derek directly for a StreamTech boat. So far, no luck–although I have gotten to fish with him several times and he’s even let me row. Merry Christmas–hope you get what you’ve been good for!

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Kirk,
There’s no room for subtle this year. Clearly Santa hasn’t been getting the hint over the last couple of years.

Of course, if it doesn’t work this year I’ll probably adopt your idea, cut out the middle man and start harassing Derek regularly.

I’ve been ‘good enough’ does that count?

The River DamselNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm

That was nice for Derek to LET you row…

SandersNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I like the not so subtle approach, as Santa hasn’t been all ears with me either. Still waiting for a few rods, reels, fishing vehicle, etc…oh well

I hope this year your luck turns around and Santa gets the message…

Cheers

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Sanders ~ If we both strike out this year on the fishing gear we’ve wished for, maybe we can talk Derek into taking Santa fishing in 2012 so he won’t be so cranky by next Christmas.

Good luck on your list!

cofisherNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Dear Santa Rebecca, I believe…thanks!

The River DamselNo Gravatar December 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Honestly, the elf switch up for Derek was brilliant…Now, we wait.

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 13, 2011 at 8:42 am

You gave me the idea RD when you mentioned on Facebook that Dear Old Santa might not be too keen on tossing in one of his elves =)

Derek YoungNo Gravatar December 13, 2011 at 12:08 am

Rebecca, I’ve never been on someone’s wish list (well, maybe my wife’s) so this is quite intriguing. I know a river, quite near to you actually, that I’d be happy to row you on, say late June-ish, for a hatch that one of the boats is named for. Coincidentally, I’ve asked Santa for a few new things too – a Go Pro, a new wide-angle lens, and maybe a new Orvis Mirage reel. Good luck!

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 13, 2011 at 8:49 am

Derek—would that river perhaps start with an S and maybe have a Fork in it and possibly be affiliated with Boise? If so, I say DEAL and that would essentially be like getting my Christmas wish and I wouldn’t even give Santa credit!

(No offense Santa, but he is talking about the salmonfly hatch here and that is always killer fishing)

And I hope Santa brings you your wish list items as well! I have faith he’s a Fly Fisherman and clearly he would understand why we all need the good stuff ~

Derek YoungNo Gravatar December 14, 2011 at 9:07 pm

One in the same…and the lower section (where hard boats dare tread) has some pretty amazing fish in it too…..

Fred TelleenNo Gravatar December 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I’ve got a boat, but I would love a boat elf to help with netting fish and tying leaders and flies on while I’m rowing. Or if it was a burly elf, maybe even to row while I fish. That would be cool. Good luck with your wish list and merry fishing.

FlyFishingCrazyNo Gravatar December 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

All I want for Christmas is my 2 foot fish!