Fly Fishing: The Confectioness

by Rebecca on November 30, 2011

Outdooress Bonefishing in Andros

See that grin. Totally Andrews fault...

I blame Andrew Bennett of course.

Him and his Deneki Lodge in the Bahamas. Since the March FIBFEST, all I’ve had is bonefish on the brain.

Lesson learned: If you start your fin follower season off on an extremely high note, the rest of the year is bound to make you feel like an unaccomplished angler.

I spent the whole of the summer chucking line and chasing tail while driving several thousand miles looking for mystic waters that weren’t flooded or blown out. I was on the hunt for flowing waters that were gin clear.

Mostly I just saw a lot of un-fishable waters and beat up road signs.

Word of advice: If you take the time to visit the Campbell River on Vancouver Island...bring a boat. That sh*t isn't wade-able...

I’ll be honest here and admit, for awhile this summer I wasn’t feeling exactly fly fishilicious. As a rainbow chaser, I was having trouble locating the bigerrfish and more often then I’d like to admit, I was battling  windknots & tangled lines. I had a bad backcast and an empty net. It was one of those kinds of summers…

Frustrations made it difficult to put fly to water and my thoughts started drifting to new locations, like fishing the rockies or heading south for some Arizona wanderings.

The radical idea of switching pursuits surfaced from time to time, things like,  Fly-Carpin! I should try carp on the fly because Michael Gracie likes it and if Mikey likes it everyone will like it”…

Of course, other not so compleat thoughts would surface. The mind is a mysteries internal after all and nothing brings forth the good stuff faster then a slow day on the river.

For example:

Fish Not Present: Well this gives a whole new meaning to The Trout Underground

Questions: I wonder if there is an actual  fiberglass manifesto  that one could read.

Agreement: I hear you mike’s gone fishin’…again, me too.

Possibilities: If I could send my own dispatches from the middle river, it would be a form of S.O.S

Wonder:: Owl Jones is in Montana today. I wonder if he’s going to sing for all the guys around the campfire.

Career Choices: I could be a Fishing Poet:  There once was a fish named trout. He filled my mind with doubt…

Deals: I hereby swear, if I catch a fish in the next hour, I pledge to Eat More Brook Trout.

After thoughts: If only I could find a salvelinus fontinalis rising that is…

Thinking of....Trout? Confectioness Candy Canes?

I know, you don’t even have to say it…the above makes me one of those slightly functioning fishaholics with a good dose of fly fishing crazy.

Anyway, some good things have happened this year. For one, I finally replaced my leaky waders with new ones.

So I’ve been dry while frothing around in the water. A legit upgrade if I may so say myself.

And then late August finally came and I went back home to toss a few dream cast Idaho flies. They say home is where the heart is and I finally found my groove. There’s nothing like finding fish leisurely sipping emergers or seeing a river damsel fly floating by and the fish grabbing the fly patterns you’ve picked.

Fly Fishing for Trout

Troutrageous!

By the way: I think there should be a new mantra that replaces the old saying, Fish On!

I tested out the shouting of troutrageous!  a couple of times and let me tell you. It totally works on an excitement level.

I’ve got lots of fodder for the catching chronicles of my personal blogging here. I just need to work on my time management.

You have to admit, floggin’ water and participating in the lunker hunt takes the priority when one has a few spare moments. I guess I could also put a little blame on the OBN. You know, that other site I blog 5 times a week in ~

Outdooress Brown Trout

A good day on the river...

P.S. I forgive Andrew, of course

P.P.S. For the two poetic confectioners, this ball of cotton candy is dedicated to YOU.

OwlNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

Loved it. Just when I thought I’d seen it all in the blogosphere – you up the ante once again! :)

AZWanderingsNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Also loved it. Tons of great blogs in there and I count myself lucky to be one of them. Hope you are having a great holiday season and thanks for all the work you do on the OBN and beyond.

Ben

Erin BlockNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm

What a whirlwind…I dig it! :-)

cofisherNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Rebecca, you rock! I can’t believe how nicely you put this together. Cheers to you.

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I don’t want to speak for Brett, but I think this just may be worthy of the Colvin Seal of Approval! Way to crawl out of your hole with a bang! Welcome back. See you again in another 6 months.

Brett ColvinNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

@Kirk – so let the Seal be granted. It would have been upgraded to the Colvin Seal of Excellence if somehow a thong, field mouse, and mummy bag could have been worked into the narrative.

@Zippy – I admit to considering adding “Texas” to your nickname due to both the length and severity of the recent drought. I’m not blaming you completely for the rising cost of beef, and this was a most refreshing cloudburst. Happy holidays!

Matt SmytheNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 3:59 pm

The rest of the limerick, ma’am:

…but sometimes he’d rise
to sip one of my flies
and then it was his turn to pout.

Well done on the post “)

Jen - Fly FishiliciousNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Excellent Rebecca – how creative!! Looks like there are some (new to me) blogs I need to check out ;)

MelNo Gravatar November 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Done only the way The Outdooress could have done it! Really nice and fun to read too. Thanks for the shout out.

Ken GNo Gravatar December 1, 2011 at 9:22 am

I do believe you have a career in marketing ahead of you, if you only learn how to focus.

:-)

WolfyNo Gravatar December 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

I think you dreamed all this stuff up over your “sick weekend”

Great stuff, Rebecca. But then again, it has to be – you only post 3x a year!

SandersNo Gravatar December 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

So cool! Great read (and reads)…Cheers!

Pam FunkNo Gravatar December 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm

What an awesome idea! So ok, you don’t post often but when you do…you REALLY do! (and btw, the work you do on OBN is very much appreciated)!

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments! I’ve been swamped in a 200 websites order from a client this week, so basically I’m drowning which doesn’t leave much time for fun stuff.

Hopefully I can get back to this site in 6 months or less….is that a challenge Kirk?

=)

Fred TelleenNo Gravatar December 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I linked your post very much. Wear a pfd and good luck under the websites.

Chris HuntNo Gravatar December 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Now that she’s a TU member, her next step is to join us as we take over the world… (maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh–for those of you who just saw the Muppet Movie with your kids, congratulations… you get the joke).

GregNo Gravatar December 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

WOW! Soooooo many blogs… Makes you wish you could have some sort of blov iv just so that you could have time to ingest them all!

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

LOL…a blog IV

Good idea!

ClifNo Gravatar December 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Whew, just squeaked in at the end.

Now I know why you don’t post often. It must have taken forever to like all those blogs and come up with a way to string it all together…some some were a stretch :-)

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

How could I forget you Clif? Never, so of course you’re in there :)

It actually didn’t take that long to do, I was inspired by two smart asses and it’s amazing what you can do when provoked.

Stretch? Ok, just a little in a few spots…

Angler GangNo Gravatar December 16, 2011 at 12:13 am

Awesome post! Very creative

Tom SadlerNo Gravatar December 18, 2011 at 11:24 am

Truly inspiring! Never thought I would do a post on blog rolls but your post had to be shared! http://middleriverdispatch.com/2011/12/the-best-fly-fishing-blog-roll/

d nashNo Gravatar January 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

How could I have just seen this now? Very well done :) Thanks for giving me a smile. Happy January!