Where Art Thee Fly Fishing Blogger…

by Rebecca on October 5, 2011

in Outdooress News

First off, lack of blog posts over the last 3 months should not imply that I haven’t been busy busy…

Ummm....I'm officially frightened

For example, at the beginning of the summer the Outdooress persona got her own LOGO.

One might think getting their own logo is an easy process.

However, when you work with someone who has a vision of what you could represent and a wicked sense of humor things can get scary pink — quick.

Respectable!

Thankfully, the graphic designer and myself were able to meet in the middle and the result is something I’m proud to toss around the Internet.

Kirk of Itchy Dogs Productions gets credit for giving me a sparkly pink lipped fright and the final product which I love.

I have no doubt he did the pink version first (as a joke) so that anything else he came up with I’d sign off on immediately and not put him through 20 revisions. That’s smart time management if I say so myself.

10 lashes with an 8 weight line to anyone who suggests I should have stuck with the Pink version…fair warning (grin)

Over the summer I put more that 10,000 miles on my vehicle which means I was all over the place in search of good fly fishing and fantastic views of the world I live in.

I visited Canada.

I visited Washington.

I explored Idaho.

I lived in Oregon.

I also stopped off and modeled for a contest Owl Jones had on his blog and word has it, my likeness won the contest so congrats goes out to the Unaccomplished Angler for his wicked sense of humor skills again….

The fish I was holding for the portrait was MUCH BIGGER KIRK

I had the opportunity to put a couple of days on a river with Matt Smythe of FishingPoet and Grant Taylor of Grant Taylor Images. You can read about the trip via Matt’s version here ~ The Idaho Trip: River X and Grants posts Idaho on the FlyThe River of SecretsRiver X the second day. I had a blast!

Matt ~ Rebecca ~ Grant

I also paused during my escapades to do an interview for Chris Hunt of the blog Eat More Brook Trout~ so for the inside info, go read 20 Questions: Rebecca Garlock

When it comes down to it, I’ve just been off doing what I love to do…fly fish. The time in between has been spent on the Outdoor Blogger Network and washing clothes for the next adventure.

I’ll find my blog writing groove soon. The weather turned this week and the slower pace of Fall and Winter is coming…

Photo By Grant Taylor

BrookfieldAnglerNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Welcome back! The logo looks fantastic. When I first saw this on my blogroll I thought to myself, “Who the?”

I love that there are no apologies to your readers in this post like you see a lot of people do in a blogging absence. Instead, you tell it like it is – “I’ve just been off doing what I love to do…fly fish” Pure money

Finally -You need to sell that photo to Simms

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

“Who the” is right…it was just last week that I remembered I once had a fly fishing blog that I should probably write in =)

I’ll let Grant know about the Simms possibilities! And thank you ~

DanielRNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

Absolutely love your blog Rebecca. I get lost with what I love to do as well, but I think as outdoor lovers, that’s to be expected once in a while!

Secondly, the logo rocks and the photo is definitely worthy of print :)

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Thanks Daniel!

Kirk gets credit for the cool logo and Grant gets credit for the cool picture. I on the other hand am thankful I got good people around to make me look decent =)

cofisherNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

Great job by Kirk, props for being smart enough to realize that the real Outdooress has much more to offer (and much nicer looking!) than a pink cartoon character. I’m surprised he figured it out. Glad to have you back in the blogger fold again Rebecca.

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Yay, the pink side of life… To my Mothers dismay, I’ve never been able to embrace the girly side of life. I’ve had so many adventures this year that I’ve got enough blog fodder to keep me going all winter. Blogger fold here I come!

Erin BlockNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm

A very heartfelt thanks for not going with the scary pink-ness!!!

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

LOL Erin, no problem.

That Kirk knows how to scare or is that scar..a fly fishing gal, that’s for sure~

The River DamselNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Well, of course we know you have been busy fly fishing! That’s a given… I do like the new logo…very sleek and classy.

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks RD ~

P.S. Bring a good coat in a few weeks, it’s getting COLD here and quick!

MelNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm

HI Rebecca, even though I am not one of the fly fishing crowd, I still enjoy your writing, your energy, and your commitment to all things “outdoor blog” wise. What a great time it has been and will continue to be. Oh, and yes you are one fantastic model for all things fishing.

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:47 am

Thanks Mel ~ I have been having a great time, Outdoors, over on the OBN.

AZWanderingsNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I really dig the new logo Rebecca and really enjoyed reading about your time in Idaho with Matt and Grant. Looks like you’ve been having fun this summer.

Ben

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Ben,
I highly suggest a fishing trip with Matt and Grant if you get a chance Ben, they are a blast to hang out with.

p.s. Joe has you on his radar for fishing in Arizona!

Kirk WernerNo Gravatar October 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Nice to have you back…I worried that all that work on your new logo was for naught….like a sign on a locked door that says, “Open”

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:52 am

Well I had to hold off mentioning it for a while. Create a curiosity buzz…right? Thank you again for the fantastic logo. Working with you is always a great time!

Tom ReutebuchNo Gravatar October 6, 2011 at 1:29 am

Doing what you like is what it’s all about. Thanks for sharing.. and 10 lashes with an 8 weight might be interesting.. probably screw up your backcast.. haha

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Or giving the lashes would be good practice of a backcast =)

Collegiate AtheleteNo Gravatar October 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

You make fishing look almost glamorous!
You’re pictures are always amazing, you manage too look great doing it.
Keep up the great blog :)

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’ll try and thank you ~

Ken Morrow, AFFPNo Gravatar October 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Did you say “persona?” LOL

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 7:44 am

Ken ~ why yes, yes I did =)

Ken ANo Gravatar October 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Hi Rebecca, Great logo and great blog. Just started fly fishing this spring and always look forward to your blog updates.

Angler GangNo Gravatar October 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Logo turned out sweet!

RobNo Gravatar October 19, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Looking forward to reading a lot more of your updates. I’m new to the fly fishing game. I enjoyed exchanging a few tweets with you on #fishchat the other night!

Larry SnyderNo Gravatar October 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

Rebecca.. Looking forward to your winter “down time” writing.
I think Kirk did you proud with your new logo and I enjoyed reading Emily’s (RD) post of fishing with you http://www.theriverdamsel.com/2011/10/unorthodox-fly-fishing-outdooress-style.html.

BarbaraNo Gravatar November 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

Rebecca it is great to see you living what you love!! Keep it up!

The River DamselNo Gravatar November 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Ok…guess what? It’s November. And it’s time for a new post!! : ) Please…

bobNo Gravatar November 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I think that your web site is really cool and is fun to follow. I have been reading your blogs for a homework assignment and i think it would be really cool to someday do what your doing.