I meant to do that (and other fly fishing flubs)

by Rebecca on June 10, 2011

in Fly Fishing for Bonefish, Fly Fishing Videos

Flub #1 ~ I caught this fish when technically I was trying for a different one that I missed.

Flub #2 ~ My pronunciation of Tom Larimers last name.

Flub #3 ~ Try to act all smart and cool-mo-dee when trying to hold a slippery (little suckers) bonefish. As you’ll see in the video, the fish taught me….

(Please excuse the couple of times the wind sounds so loud. If I knew how to edit video, I would, but I don’t. So this is as good as it gets….)

My thanks to Tom Larimer who not only took this video, but spent not one, but two days fishing with me.

Additional Flub Admissions:

Flub#4 ~ I had no idea who Tom was (a fly fishing rockstar) the first day I fished with him which is basically the equivalent of sitting next to Brad Pitt on a 10 hour flight and asking him halfway through the trip….”So, what it is that you do?” (Which again proves how out of the loop I am when it comes to the who’s who of fly fishing)

Flub#5 ~ On the second day I fished with Tom (after someone else had explained to me in great detail who Tom was) he was standing right behind me when I did a rather hard strip set. My fist went flying back and felt like it hit a zone where no female fist should connect with at a high rate of speed. Although I did hook that bonefish and my line was screaming one direction, I turned around and my only concern was, “OH MY GOD, Did I just incapacitate thee Tom Larimer of Fly Fishing for Steelhead??”

The Flub conversation went like this:
Our guide Charlie was yelling and pointing at the fish, “REBECCA! You have FISH ON!”
I was yelling back and pointing at Tom, “I KNOW! But…but…the jewels!”
And Tom was yelling and pointing at the fish, “YOU MISSED ME, get the fish”

I lost the fish.
And was traumatized for a good hour over the incident.

Tom and I

Oh, and I had an incredible, amazing time fishing with Tom. I learned a lot, laughed a lot, caught fish, got casting pointers and can’t wait to Fly Fish with him again.

You can check out Tom’s world here:
Larimer Outfitters
Oregon Fly Fishing Report (blog)

You can check out Deneki Fly Fishing Lodges here:
Deneki
Deneki FIBFest

OwlNo Gravatar June 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

What a guy! I think I’d have set you off on your own after that warning shot. :) LOL

BrookfieldAnglerNo Gravatar June 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

HAHAHA!!! but..but…the jewels!

KirkNo Gravatar June 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Where have you been? You haven’t been writing enough recently to satisfy your followers. I hope this signals the end of the absence?

I can’t believe you didn’t know who Tom Larimer was, and I can’t believe you tried to smack him in the…jewels! First rule of self defense: never stop with just the first shot to the gonads. You need to follow up with a heel stomp to the instep of his foot and then a backfist to the nose. Rarely, as you learned, do you ever connect with the first shot. Oh wait, you didn’t mean to hit him? In that case, good thing you missed.

Tom LarimerNo Gravatar June 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

RB!
Thanks for the kind words. I truly enjoyed fishing, laughing and hanging out with you in the Bahamas… What an amazing adventure we had. Here we are months later and not a day goes by without thoughts of the white sand flats and beautiful bonefish. We need to go fishing this summer! You just have to promise… Keep your elbows to yourself!

Still vital
-TL

Fontinalis RisingNo Gravatar June 10, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Hysterical, absolutely hysterical. That’s all I can say. Still jealous of that trip. I’d arm wrestle you for the MT outing, but I’d probably lose that too. And if we both win, there will be a minimum distance between me and your elbow.

ken morrowNo Gravatar June 11, 2011 at 5:30 am

Note to self: Never stand within arm’s reach behind Rebecca when she’s fishing. LOL