Chinook Festivities have begun…

by Rebecca on June 16, 2011

in Salmon Fishing

Happy Gear Chucker

It’s that time of the year when I put my Fly Rod down and become a gear chucker for a few weeks.

Why would I do such a thing you (fly fisherman) may ask? Well, because it’s Chinook Salmon and a raging river (see photo below) that is not kind to fly rods and barely tolerates gear set ups. Add in the fact that if I tried to hit the bank and swirl a Fly Line around everyone’s head I’d probably get boot kicked in the arse.

So that’s why.

Never fear though, as soon as the salmon hit a different river, a kinder, more gentle river that allows for 10 feet of space between anglers, I’ll be swinging for the big boys with my fly rod. Which should be in about 3 weeks.

Until then, I’m happily playing on the other side of the river. Because it’s SALMON.

This last weekend was fantastic. High river, technical fishing and lots of fun to be had. Once again, (I know I whined about this last year on my blog) noted by the pain below my┬áribcage, I’m certain I’ve caused myself internal injuries from my bad habit of sticking the end of my rod into my gut to fight the big fish.

Over and over…repeat till I am cringing at the thought of catching another. Then ignore that thought and do it again.

Same Pose ~ Different Year (And look at that raging water I just pulled this salmon out of!)

In fact, looking at the above picture, I don’t think I look like a happy angler. I look more like an angler in anguish, forcing a smile, who just got her butt kicked by fish and river. One who won the battle on a fish in the net┬átechnicality, but that’s about it.

Which is why I’m totally going to go back and do it again this weekend.
All those angler technicalities that add up to an overall good time!

KirkNo Gravatar June 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Obviously one way to remedy the self-inflicted (or rather fish-inflicted) body trauma is to wear a fighting belt with an insert for the butt of your rod. A home-spun alternative to that is to take a plastic dinner plate and, using duct tape, fashion it to your belly. If you have lower back hair, which likely you do not, I recommend shaving first before applying the tape. It only hurts when you remove the tape.

Good to see you finally getting out and nurturing your soul, even if it is with a gear rod ;)

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

Kirk,
I can’t wear a fighting belt out on the front lines.

That would make me look like a wimp—which I am not. So I think I’d rather just grin and bear it.

The dinner plate on the other hand…hidden under thy shirt has possibilities. The hair thing is not an issue!

leaky wadersNo Gravatar June 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

That is awesome! There is no shame is fishing one way verses another. It is only preference. Go get em!

- David

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 17, 2011 at 10:49 am

David,
I’m on it…in about 2 hours!

David GNo Gravatar June 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm

It’s kind of like working out, it hurts so good… I hope all goes well!! …Kirk’s plate idea is solid!

MNAnglerNo Gravatar June 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

Sweet. I’d love to wrestle a salmon some day.

Fontinalis RisingNo Gravatar June 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Every fall I say I’m sick of salmon- why would anyone want to fish for them? and then about this time of year I start daydreaming about them. Ours run in September. By the way, that fish in the photo doesn’t look like a Chinook- it’s too small ;-) . By late August I’m sure I’ll have my gear ready to destroy all over again.

Kenneth NorthcuttNo Gravatar July 1, 2011 at 3:51 am

That’s a very nice catch Becca. You are just so powerful lady! I like your post!

The Functioning FishaholicsNo Gravatar July 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Wow. I’d probably force myself to buy new gear every year just for the chance of destroying it on a fish like that! (:

MysticfishNo Gravatar July 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

I’ve endured a bit of pain and suffering; both mental and physical, in pursuit of the King. It’s a fish that deserves to be earned. Long live the King!

JackNo Gravatar July 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Great article, Rebecca! You describe the experience of salmon-fishing exactly the way it is. At times, you find yourself wondering if it’s worth all the discomfort, but then you hook another one…and you’re back in business! So keep on fishin’!

JoseNo Gravatar July 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Wow fantastic! yummy

MilestonesNo Gravatar July 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Great catch! Looks like a lot of fun.

OwlNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Are ya still out there chasin them salmons? :)

Electo FishingNo Gravatar September 30, 2011 at 3:21 am

Nice fish looks like you are having alot of fun, wish I could fish all day everyday!

Milestones Sports JewelryNo Gravatar October 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I don’t know much at all about fly fishing, but that looks like a pretty good size one you go there! You make it look so easy!

Angler GangNo Gravatar October 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Wow that water really is raging! Beautiful fish.