Fly Fishing for Bonefish is definitely not Trout Fishing…

by Rebecca on March 27, 2011

in Fly Fishing for Bonefish

I made it through my first day of Fly Fishing for Bonefish here at the Deneki FIBFest.
(without shark attacks–didn’t get lost in the mangroves)

First Bonefish ~ Ever

I caught a Bonefish on my very first cast…ROCKSTAR status…
(or so I thought for a Milli-Second until the humility smack down began)

But then…the Trout Fisherman in me reared it’s ugly habits and the rest of the day put my fisherman patience to the test.

I’ll give myself a C-

I had an absolute blast earning that C- and can’t wait  to try for a B tomorrow….

Fred TelleenNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I’m sure you’ll be an “A” soon. Just fish like its always your first cast.

Badger BushcraftNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Well done with the bonefish Rebecca.

Good to keep up with your blog even when you are on holiday! Now that is real dedication!!!

Enjoy your vacation.

Best regards,

Phil.

KirkNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm

One cast, one bone. That’s the mark of an Accomplished angler!

Perhaps you just need to learn to quit while you’re ahead?

IvanNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 11:25 pm

well done. I remember saying something like you are going to get it on the first cast. I don’t want to take credit for your first bonefish, so I won’t. Here’s to tomorrow.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Congratulations! Nice fish, but you’re lookin’ pretty pale…

BjornNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 4:51 am

I totally called it. She watched me botch 5 shots in a row before I landed my first bonefish and I said “watch, you are going to catch the first fish you cast to” and that is exactly what happened.
I’d give her more than a C-… she’s a little tough on herself. A good time was had in a beautiful place and our guide was great.

The River DamselNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 8:51 am

How much fun is that??? Good for you, Rebecca!! Keep Em’ Coming!!!

RickNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 10:43 am

The important thing is that you are having fun and enjoying the outdoors.

Whitetail Woods™
Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

ken morrow, affpNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Yeah, but that’s just a little, bitty, baby bonefish! It barely even counts as a bonefish in the halls of bonefishing lore, myth, and legend. LOL

Seriously, you’re supposed to exercise your feminine prerogative when something like that happens and say, “Well, there you go, boys. That’s how it’s supposed to be done! I’m done for the day. I just wanna watch and catch some rays.” And then you sit around looking pretty and making them bring you drinks and stuff for the rest of the day. I hear that’s how all the other chicks do it. ;)

Congrats. And have fun with it!

Owl JonesNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Is there a bonefish in that picture? Oh wait. I see it.

;)

Hey, you’re killin’ me here. One picture? C’mon man! This wasn’t a report, this was a tease! :)

DaleNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Way to to champ. I called Robert last nite, I wanted to wish you a happy anniverary too.

Dinky FishNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm

What can i say… That looks like 100% Bone Money too me. Congrats on landing your first Salt Water White-Fish, Ooooops… I mean Bonefish, keep the writing coming, and totally agree with Owl, that was a Tease not a Write-Up…

RobNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Nice job! I didn’t think before to send you a flybox and some of my favorite bonefish flies! You should have said something!

nimrod243No Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Your first bonefish ever looks to be about 11-12 inches long, which makes it about 11-12 inches longer than my first bonefish ever. Congrats!

MelNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Well, the beautiful setting, the splash of salt water clothing, and some bright sunshine tells me it is a real Bonefish alright. A Rocky Mountain Bonefish just wouldn’t look right in that picture! Congratulations, in all seriousness, Rebecca.

Fontinalis RisingNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That’s one more bonefish than I’ve ever caught. I’m still trying to learn to strip set on those night browns. Tough lessons. I’m willing to bet that being there in that warm salt air and amazing water is worth the learning curve…