An Impromptu Saltwater Fly Fishing Class…

by Rebecca on March 23, 2011

in Fly Fishing for Bonefish

Ok, ready now. Deneki FIBFest, Here I Come!

This week I had an impromptu, pretend I was fly fishing on saltwater class, from a legit—knows what he’s doing and how to teach it, casting instructor— Michael Bantam of DreamcastIdaho.

Basically, I tried to pretend the weather was 80 degrees, the water was blazing blue and there wasn’t goose crap all over my casting platform at the local murk pond. This is how it went…

~ Getting the mechanics down ~

I’m not going to admit how many times it was said, “Hey, thats great for Trout fishin….” so I feel like I’m good in the trout bum department. Saltwater? The jury is still out..

I will remember...I will remember....my railroad tracks! I promise Michael

Nor will I recant the amount of times I whip-cracked Michael upside the back of his head with my fly line to which he would say, “Owww, Ya Got me mon!” rubbing his ear with a big old grin on his face. (Visions of piercing my guides ear danced through my mind)

I kept repeating in my mind...Bonefish on the Brain (ode to Bjorn)

And in the end….I promised Michael I would keep practicing and hopefully it all comes together on Andros South Island—minus the “Owww, Ya Got Me Mon!”

Lets do this....Saltwater Fly Fishing

Thank you Michael for your instruction, advice and patience. First thing I’m packing to the Bahamas is all your wisdom and words of encouragement.

I promise (to try) not to trout set…

P.S. If you live in Idaho and need any type of Fly Fishing Casting Class,
Michael Bantam of DreamCastIdaho is your Ya MON!

RickNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Good Luck, I am sure you will do fine.

Whitetail Woods™
Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

KirkNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Great idea to get a little taste of the salt before you actually get a taste of the salt…Michael sounds like a great instructor. I checked out his website- very nice! Have a great trip, and leave the warm jacket and jeans at home.

Basketball JerseysNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I have tried it before but i was a bum to keep practicing. I give up too easily. I hope you do good.

Ross GuillenNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm

sounds like a blast Rebecca. And you will use your trout set…your streamer strip set. Won’t you??

Oh and nothing beats the embrassament of wrapping a “Gotcha” around your guides neck.

I’m sure that won’t happen.

Look forward to the pics!

The River DamselNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Whoohoo!!! You have covered all the bases, I believe…now just GO and have FUN!!! Were you really casting in boots with heels? Ha.

cofisherNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I think that along with Michael’s words of wisdom, you ought to pack some band aids as well…ya know, just in case. Have a great time.

BjornNo Gravatar March 23, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Dude… kind of the guide’s fault if he gives you a fish at 12:00. He’s ASKING to be hooked if that’s the case. Just takes a few seconds to get that same shot at 11:00 or 1:00… you are going to be fine. No worries!
See you on Saturday!

passinthru outdoorsNo Gravatar March 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

Looks like you are ready to go. Good luck and bring back plenty of pictures. Can’t wait to read the reports.

Tom ReutebuchNo Gravatar March 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

How does a bonefish set go versus a trout set? Much harder, I assume. Have fun…awaiting the trip updates!

Randy KadishNo Gravatar March 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

Fly fishing fron a pier, just like we do in NYC.
Randy