Dropping The (Fish) Ball

by Rebecca on October 6, 2010

~Ya...this Brown smacked me around a bit...hence the fish drop~

A common problem in life:  Sometimes we focus in on one thing and something else suffers in the process. Conventional wisdom would define this as “Dropping the Ball” and lately, I seem to be dropping my blogging ball. It comes down to a simple math equation revolving around the hours in a week. Work (blah) + Fishing = not a whole lot of time left over for anything else.

Fish of course, are the real problem here. I like to hang out with them which dictates frequent excursions away from home and computer. I believe the fish warrant a little blame. They are out there (like right NOW)…in the river…just waiting for me to come visit them. Such little and big teases they are.

Not to mention. It’s a Fall Fly Fishing Fiesta out there right now and who wouldn’t want to join that party till the lights go out? Fall Fishing will be over in a blink of an eye and I don’t want to start winter thinking, damn, if only I had fished more in the Fall. I haven’t had anyone confirm my logic, but I’m certain my reasoning falls under the “Life is too Short” guidelines.

Plus, my waders have sprung a serious leak and although it won’t stop me from fishing in the winter, I’d like to enjoy as much non-frozen toes wading as I can now. (bonus reasoning!)

Does anyone know what the job description of a Trout Bum entails?
I might want to be one when I grown up.

Stephen VanceNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

The job description of a Trout Bum entails not having a job, and just fishing; Or having a job that is all fishing. either way you fish a ton. lol

Stephen VanceNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

wait… thats not the pygmy… lol

KaraNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love that shot. You should submit it to Dylan at SkateTheFly.com for his “Hero Shots Gone Wrong” posts.

Kara

Glynn @ AReelLadyNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I’m that girl that hates hates holding fish (there is a post about it in my blog somewhere), and I HATE when bass wiggle around while I’m trying to hold them, and I will drop them, and do. It just happens! The photo is too great though. Is there any way to fix the hole in your waders. I feel like frigid toes and holy waders would be horrific.

ShoremanNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Working is an occupational hazard. Since I retired, I applied and got a job as a trout bum.
Job requirements:
1. Fish as much as you can.
2. Your hands must smell like Power Bait most of the time.
3. You need to get yelled at by your spouse for leaving worms in the fridge at least once, while they are there.
4. There must be so much fishing equipment in your vehicle that you have to unload it when your spouse has to use it.
5. You have a standard charge account with your favorite fly tying shop.
6. People recognize you as someone who catches fish and always want to know how you do it.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Humor Rebecca, humor.

Brett ColvinNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I know this face.

While attempting to cross the headwaters of the Green up in the Wind Rivers one day, I too experienced the heartbreak of leaky waders. When the turquoise, glacial fluid reached my “vitals” the result was The Face of Ultimate Suffering.

In my case the expression lasted the duration of the trip. Hopefully yours was more fleeting in nature.

Emily B.No Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I vote for a job that is all fishing all the time!!! : ) I know that I could really be good at it…no missed days of work! Ha.

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm

GREAT photo, Garlock! We’ve all been there, done that…

By the way, I’ve finally tracked down a 36-hour clock…if you’re nice, I’ll let you borrow it sometime.

KirkNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Wait a second–those Patagucci’s aren’t even 6 months old and they’re leaking already? Clearly you’re either too hard on your gear or they’re shoddy craftsmanship. Given how much you’ve ignored your professional responsibilities lately I’d say wear and tear may be to blame.

MNAnglerNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

That’s an awesome pic. I love how the brown is exiting the frame.

HaroldNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Life is short, and winter is long (at least where I live), so fish now and blog later.

JeffNo Gravatar October 8, 2010 at 7:07 am

You sprung a leak in those new waders? The ones you almost lost?