Riverside Conversations

by Rebecca on September 21, 2010

Steve and his Pretty Bad Ass Casting

Before I took off on my Elk hunting trip I slipped out of town for an afternoon of Fly Fishing with Stephen Vance of Scandalous Sticks Flyrods.

I knew I wouldn’t be fly fishing for a couple of weeks so like a squirrel stocks up for winter, I inhaled as much Fly Fishing mojo as I could that day. I had a great time and caught enough nice browns to tide me over until I got back.

During a particularly frustrating fishing time for Steve, I attempted to be a good fly fishing buddy by offering a few words of encouragement and the conversation went like this:

Me: Well, at least your casting is really pretty!

Steve: What?! My casting can’t be pretty. It’s more like, bad ass.

Me: How about handsome?

Steve: Ohhh ssstop it. (said with a distinct lisp)

Me: Fine. How about, you display stunning casting abilities.

Steve: Stunning is a sexy lady in a racy red dress, not my casting.

Me: Good Point. Ok, ok. How about this? Your casting is Pretty bad ass.

Steve: Close enough.

KirkNo Gravatar September 21, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sounds like Steve is pretty out of touch with his female side. Thank Gawd.

Emily B.No Gravatar September 21, 2010 at 11:20 am

I would have used the word to describe his casting… as “RAD”!!! But, you got to the “Pretty Bad Ass” which was close!!! Ha.

John HoweNo Gravatar September 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

You were a good friend to be supportive :)

Tom ReutebuchNo Gravatar September 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Scandalous sticks…I like that!!

My fly casting can be best described as possum beating..much like the nickname of my old golf clubs…the possum killers..

As always, great blog!!

ShoremanNo Gravatar September 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Love the humor. I agree with Tom. I think my fly casting is like Possom beating too.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar September 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Nice to hear you got in some fishing before it gets to cold. Now, whadaya gonna do with all that high cholesterol red meat you collect?

Glynn @ AReelLadyNo Gravatar September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I feel like I’ve had this same conversation with my husband. I on the other hand do not cast pretty, but it works.

Dave BerningNo Gravatar September 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Just found your blog.. interesting.. add to my favs