When Internet and Rivers Converge

by Rebecca on August 17, 2010

~Middle Fork of the Boise River~

When I started 2010, I listed two goals in my Fly Fishing category of life. The first goal was to be nicer, or sweet, or at least cordial to any White Fish I might discover at the end of my fly line.  So far, I’m still rockin’  a 100% success rate of accomplishment in that department. Not a single cuss word has flown at the fish who used to mutilate my flies, mainly because I haven’t caught a single Whitefish this year. HA! Hahaha…It must be karma. Last year, the more I spit and cussed at the Whitefish, the more I seemed to catch them. The minute I decided to be a kind angler who might enjoy discarding flies just for the pleasure of catching some circle lips, the Whitefish decided I wouldn’t be fun to  screw with anymore.

My second goal for 2010 was to be more sociable, get out of my solitary bubble and throw flies with other Fly Fishing anglers. So far, I’ve been at a 0% success rate on that goal, but tomorrow that finally changes. For the first time, I’ll be meeting up with someone I connected with from the online fishing community. Joe a.k.a Wolfy from the blog Flowing Waters is making a pit stop in my hometown and I’m on cue to show him some local fisheries for a few days.

Now, I’m not at all nervous about meeting Joe.  I feel so comfortable and positive about meeting Joe that I won’t even be hiding a pistol in my Fly Bag! However, I am feeling nervous about what the next two days might bring. I think it goes back to the principle of my first paragraph. Now that I’m finally meeting someone in person (good) I have a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach that the fish might be assholes about the whole thing (bad) — It’s that goal oriented Karma thing again.

I can’t help but wonder, what the hell am I going to do if the fish magically disappear for two days? I haven’t been skunked since early Spring and in my personal opinion, the next two days would be a bad time to revisit that smell. Bad for the rep and tour guide status…Thankfully, the fish schedule has us tackling one challenging river and then the Middle Fork of the Boise River. A river that if I did get skunked on I’d probably sell my Fly Rods and take up noodling for Whitefish with my pinkie.

I suppose, if I let my mind wander this direction, there are worse things than a skunking. I could crumble into a pile of performance pressure and pierce my eyebrow with a Zebra midge on my first cast. Or…I could slip on a rock while wading and go floating by Joe shouting out my last regards to life. Additionally, there’s always the threat of rattlesnake bite.  I’ve been half expecting a good chomp to my ankle over the years and the next two days would make for interesting, if not dramatic, timing. Ohhh….and a bear visit would certainly overshadow a skunking. That would be a cool test of Joe and my own running in waders abilities and if we lived, would surely laugh about later.

So many possibilities, especially when you have an overactive imagination! I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what the next two days bring. I’m excited, nervous, and ready to see what the Fish Gawds have in mind for us. Stay tuned…

MNAnglerNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Take a breath, Rebecca. You’re getting way too stressed out about Wolfy’s visit. What I know of him, he’ll just be happy to get out and explore new water and enjoy the scenery and wildlife. A fish on the line will just be a bonus.

Be like an air conditioner and just chill.

RebeccaNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Chillin’ with my skunk, snakes and bears =)

troutrageous1No Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Fear not – Wolfy is a great guy (as I too found out first hand last week over a few beers while he was in my area for business). With his personality, I have a feeling you two will have a great time, even if the fish aren’t biting. That noted, I’m also sure there will be plenty of tight lines during his visit.

BTW, he told me he was looking forward to the trip out to meet YOU; he didn’t mention anything about needing to catch fish.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 2:05 pm

R, I’ve found over the years that fish can be assholes from time to time, and there’s really nothing I can do about that. So, I’ve struck a deal with them: Sometimes they get to be the assholes, and sometimes I get to be the asshole. It seems to work out pretty well.

Noodling for whitefish with your pinky conveys imagry fraught with stuff that…well, fraught with stuff. I grew up in the South, and I never heard of “noodling” until after I’d been in California for awhile. They would never have started it if I still lived there.

So, don’t shoot the guy; don’t shoot yourself. Matter of fact, don’t shoot anybody. Just enjoy the fishin’.

Regards,
KJ

KirkNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I wondered where you been, now I know- you’ve been out trying not to catch ytfishes. Sounds like your rendezvous with Joe has you over-thinking everything. Just do what you do- fish. The rest will work itself out. There’s no pressure to perform because A) it’s called fishing, not catching; B) he’s not paying you for your guide services. Go forth and fish with confidence, and take a snake bite kit just for good measure.

rebeccaNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Thanks guys for the assurance. I’m sure every thing will go wonderful and we’ll have a great time, fish or no fish. A bear would just be a bonus!

ClifNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Forget about skunks, snakes and bears.

Check his suitcase for mice. Better safe than sorry.

ShoremanNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Come on Rebecca, we’ve know Joe for a long time. Some have met him in person, some have talked to him, as I have, many times via email. Joe will have a good time even if he doesn’t catch anything. You guys will do great. Can’t wait for the story.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Clif wins the prize…big round of applause… ;-)

WolfyNo Gravatar August 17, 2010 at 11:43 pm

OK – a couple things you all need to know

A) There is NO pressure of any kind. If I never caught another fish in my life, I would not have been short-changed. The only pressure on anyone is on me, and that is to try to NOT duplicate some of my oft-occurring world class tangled, knotted, messes involving tandem nymphs

B) I’m pretty sure the bears in this area are black bears, and I’m OK with them. And, if a race was neccesary to out run a hungry bear, Rebecca will be able to give you all the gory details, because one thing I am NOT is fast!!

I have no doubt that the next 2 days will be great fun and filled with success. I’m REALLY looking forward to the Middle Fork, which is small water and smallish fish. Rebecca hasn’t fished light rods yet, and I brought along a few 2 and 3 wts for the little ‘bows!
Stories and photos to follow

LindaNo Gravatar August 18, 2010 at 12:29 pm

It’s great to see that the spirit of Izaak Walton (author of *The Compleat Angler*) is alive and well in you! Love your blog…and I’ve only fished once in the last 33 years! Thank you!

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar August 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love that pic of the middle fork – that looks like some outstanding water!

Good luck you two – rip some lips and bend some poles!

DanNo Gravatar August 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Love the Middle Fork of the Boise, I have not been there for years but the river has always been speicial. The Last trip I took was the South Fork of the Payette river. I caught “O” Trout and “6″ Whitefish, no complaints. Idaho Dan