End of the Salmon Season

by Rebecca on July 12, 2010

in Salmon Fishing

I know, it’s been awhile since I posted here. I have a legit excuse, really. I’ve been camping in the Mountains in a bubble where cell service is wishful thinking and the concept of Internet access is about as futuristic as the hovercraft car I thought I’d be driving by now when I was an 8 year old dreaming about the future.  My previous few weeks have been a total and complete disconnect from one world and totally emerged in another…..

What was wonderful about the previous two weeks was my change in location. The river I had been fishing throughout the whole of May and deep into June isn’t exactly a vision of beauty and tranquility. As the salmon finally arrived at another river, the salmon fishing clan made a quick camp move and set up in the heart of beauty. Real Mountains that is…..with Pine trees and lush green everywhere. If they hadn’t closed the Salmon season unexpectedly on Friday, I could have stayed another few weeks.

My Biggest Salmon of the Season, Hence the Grin

This is it, the last grip and grin (a mile wide) salmon picture I’ll post this year. Gratuitous, perhaps, but it should illustrate why I’ve been gone.

I have to admit that while I was salmon fishing I took several breaks from casting for big fish and went back to my first love, trout that is.

I felt badly for the first trout that took one of my flies. I was so used to hauling back with a mighty roar to set the hook on salmon, that the first 8 inch trout to hit my little dry fly was launched like an airborn torpedo through the air.

Sorry little buddy!

Next on the fishing agenda—–Montana and Oregon, here I come……..

KirkNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

What? You’ve been gone? Huh. Hardly even noticed your absence ;) Glad to hear you got the salmon out of your system for the year so you can concentrate on the fly rod for a while. You need to start posting more photos of your fish, however. 2 weeks in the backcountry and only one photo to show for it? Come on…

RebeccaNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

LOL I know Kirk, you were worried about me =) More photos? You know how hard it is to get even one? I take a few pictures, but I’m never in them. The people I hang out with aren’t exactly motivated to stop fishing and capture visuals for me or when I’m fly fishing, I’m always totally alone. I should post a Craigslist ad ~ Wanted: Person willing to follow me around (but not bug me) to capture via photography engaging visual aides for my website. Payment in the form of fresh mountain air ;)

DaleNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Very nice fish. I guess there was a record number of salmon up the river this year, over 300.000 over granite (over 30,000 in one day).

Looking forward to your Oregon trip

ShoremanNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hi Rebecca. I know what you mean about yanking the fly when you change from Salmon to Trout. I think that’s why I had so much trouble with Steelhead. I was used to setting the hook. Glad you’re having a good time. Look out, Montana and Oregon. The Outdooress is on her way.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm

There’s a creek near where I do a lot of my fishing, filled with small Golden Trout. Care to guess why it’s called “Launch Creek”?

troutrageous1No Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 6:48 am

That technology-free bubble sounds like a nice place to visit.

That salmon is a beast, if I was tussling with those on the end of my line I wouldn’t be blogging even if I had internet access!

BTW – My fingers are still crossed for the hovercar. I’m pretty sure they were driving them in “Back to the Future II” which was in 2015. Evidently only a few more years to wait…Marty McFly wouldn’t steer us wrong.

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

Holy smokes, Garlock…that steelie is massive! Nice haul…and a well-deserved grin.

HA! Pulling the trigger too hard on the little fellas…sounds like Montana is just what you need – stick some larger trout and get yourself back into the game.

And if Montana doesn’t cut it, you and your crew come down to Colorado one of these times – I’ll get you on some monsters that you won’t be able to torpedo through the air.

Safe travels and tell Oregon I said hello.

RebeccaNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 9:52 am

@Dale ~ Yes, it was a very good year for salmon which is why I had such a hard time leaving!

@Shoreman & Kentucky Jim~ Good to know I’m not the only one who has launched a few fish in my time!

@Troutrageous ~ You’re right, even if I had access I doubt I would have paused to write anything up. I know about the hovercar! My younger self was so sure that by now we’d all be zooming through the air. Maybe our Grandchildren will get to experience that sort of ride ~ Marty McFly rules ;)

@ColoradoAngler ~ Thanks! I do need to go find some bigger trout. The mountain river I was catching huge salmon on housed some pretty average like trout. I heard rumors of Bulltrout in that river up to 24 inches, but they didn’t seem to want to play with me so I caught a lot of 8 inch to 14 inch trout. Still a good time but I need to feel the pull of a nice (non-salmon) fish again! I haven’t been fly fishing in Colorado for YEARS, time to change that!

KenNo Gravatar July 22, 2010 at 8:52 am

That is a great looking fish. Enjoy your next trip.