The $500 Morel Mushroom

by Rebecca on June 15, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

Ok, so this morel mushroom didn’t exactly cost $5oo dollars, but might as well have! When I look at this single picture I took over the weekend, I see the sum total and only proof of my positive experiences and my sad losses.

~Wild Idaho Morel Mushroom~

The math goes like this;
Several bags of Morel mushrooms picked
A lot of eating of said morel mushrooms
A really great time with friends
The point of discovering the tragic loss of $500 bucks worth of Backpack, Contents & Waders
Rebecca wishing she could give back the mushrooms
and do something different this last weekend.

Like Fly Fish, with my waders firmly strapped on……

RobNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

Do you get ripped when you eat those things or something?

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

Rob ~ Get ripped? Well, I had a few beers to go with the mushrooms when I ate them, but I assure you, they don’t do anything but taste good and fill the stomach. No purple skies and floating fairies from morels ~

John SoaresNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

Rebecca, so sorry for your losses.

You’re not the first person to lose gear on a trip, but it sure sucks.

At least you had those morels…

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

John ~ I know I shouldn’t blame the morels for my misfortune…..and they did taste amazing. It was a good morel hunt which is why I never ended up fly fishing. Everywhere I hiked it was like morel mushroom forests. I imagine I’ll have morel mushrooms for a year (I’ve got big batches drying still) Hmmm….I should sell some, get some extra scratch money–buy new waders =)

John SoaresNo Gravatar June 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Rebecca, morels fetch a good price in northern California.

We had a lot of rain and snow in the forests around Mount Shasta (where I live), and apparently it was a banner year for shrooms.

KirkNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 10:02 am

I guess the morel to the story is, leave your waders at home when you go mushroom hunting.

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

LOL Kirk ………now you tell me! Such good friends I have acquired here online =)

PamNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m getting stoked up to start hunting them in a couple of weeks here! We should have a great year ’cause it’s been nothing if not wet! It’s about the only thing I can put fishing on hold for!