The $500 Morel Mushroom

by Rebecca on June 15, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

Ok, so this morel mushroom didn’t exactly cost $5oo dollars, but might as well have! When I look at this single picture I took over the weekend, I see the sum total and only proof of my positive experiences and my sad losses.

~Wild Idaho Morel Mushroom~

The math goes like this;
Several bags of Morel mushrooms picked
x
A lot of eating of said morel mushrooms
A really great time with friends
The point of discovering the tragic loss of $500 bucks worth of Backpack, Contents & Waders
=
Rebecca wishing she could give back the mushrooms
and do something different this last weekend.

Like Fly Fish, with my waders firmly strapped on……

RobNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

Again…bummer!

Do you get ripped when you eat those things or something?

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

Rob ~ Get ripped? Well, I had a few beers to go with the mushrooms when I ate them, but I assure you, they don’t do anything but taste good and fill the stomach. No purple skies and floating fairies from morels ~

John SoaresNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

Rebecca, so sorry for your losses.

You’re not the first person to lose gear on a trip, but it sure sucks.

At least you had those morels…

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

John ~ I know I shouldn’t blame the morels for my misfortune…..and they did taste amazing. It was a good morel hunt which is why I never ended up fly fishing. Everywhere I hiked it was like morel mushroom forests. I imagine I’ll have morel mushrooms for a year (I’ve got big batches drying still) Hmmm….I should sell some, get some extra scratch money–buy new waders =)

John SoaresNo Gravatar June 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Rebecca, morels fetch a good price in northern California.

We had a lot of rain and snow in the forests around Mount Shasta (where I live), and apparently it was a banner year for shrooms.

KirkNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 10:02 am

I guess the morel to the story is, leave your waders at home when you go mushroom hunting.

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

LOL Kirk ………now you tell me! Such good friends I have acquired here online =)

PamNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m getting stoked up to start hunting them in a couple of weeks here! We should have a great year ’cause it’s been nothing if not wet! It’s about the only thing I can put fishing on hold for!