Fishing, Intimate-(ly)

by Rebecca on June 3, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

~Feelin' the Salmon Love~

When you are fishing and the general rumor floating upstream is, “In So & So hole, they are catching 5 salmon every 5 minutes” and you let curiosity get the better of you, there’s a good chance  you’ll find yourself toying with a situation that looks a lot like temporary fishing insanity.

Especially on Memorial Day Weekend.

I gave it precisely 3 casts. The first cast caught me a big burly guy who smiled all 4 of his teeth at me when I surgically amputated my line off his. The second cast made it through the spider web with flying colors (and a thank you to the fishing gawds) and the third cast caught me 1 salmon and at least five other lines. That was all the fun and insanity I could take =)

The places I fished this last weekend were crowded, but nothing like the insanity I participated briefly in shown above. As much as I bemoan the combat fishing, there is something to be said about a large group of people hanging out fishing together. Dare I say, (believe it or not) the communities that form on the riverbanks are both interesting and entertaining. In other words, I had another great weekend……….

AustinNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Holy Cow!!! There are more anglers on that bank then I saw all day on the stream the other day. Now that’s what I call INSANITY!!

ZachNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm

That is freakin’ crazy! I like a solid half mile between myself and other fisherman.

DaveNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Hahahaha… this looks like the scene that I’ve seen all too many times. Kinda reminds me of the Zoo or the Circus. The Zoo as I have come to call it, is the Siuslaw River from Whitaker Creek and the next 1.5 miles of river fishing for Winter Steelhead. The Circus, or Middle Fork Willamette below Dexter Dam, as it is known fishing for Summer Steelhead and Spring Chinook. These are all too familiar scenes.
Definitely reminds me of BYOR fishing (bring your own rock).
I believe you stayed 3 casts longer than I would have.

Dave

ShoremanNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm

As much as I love fishing, and you know I do, I’d have to pass on this. You are much braver than I.

ClifNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 5:10 pm

How can there be any fish left?

Joseph G MartinNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Holy Molly no way I could fish in there….When I am not guiding I am a loner…and up here we have room for elbow…Thank God…
Your good.

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm

@Austin ~ it is….pure insanity. I was cured, and quickly….

@Zach ~ I hear you on that. This little tiny salmon season is my only exception to the half mile rule

@Dave ~ It is like a cirrus inspired zoo. That spot was just crazy. I went, I saw, I ran.

@Shoreman ~ It did take an act of bravery. But then I turned pure coward =) It is a fun show though! They didn’t mind me taking pictures.

@Clif ~ the salmon run this year is pretty high…..somehow the fish manage to get past them because I was catching salmon a few miles up the river from them.

@Joseph~ well, I couldn’t fish there either. But I did fish with other people in not as tight quarters. It’s an aquired taste, that sort of combat fishing. One I’m only beginning to learn the ropes. “Up here” where are you??

nimrod243No Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I couldn’t afford enough gear for that kind of fishing!

KirkNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

All them dudes and only one with waders on so he could get away from the crowd ; )

MNAnglerNo Gravatar June 4, 2010 at 7:06 am

You’re a brave girl. In my recent trip to Lake Vadnais, there were lots of anglers lining the shore, but they had about a mile between them compare to this. One guy got all grumpy because I sent a cast _kind of_ near his line.

What I love about your story is that you caught a fish! You showed them all up, didn’t you.

Brett ColvinNo Gravatar June 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I was expecting something entirely different based on the title of this post in my blog roll. The suspenders and hip waders were on par with my expectations, although I do admit to some “clicker’s remorse” once the rest of the image loaded.

RebeccaNo Gravatar June 4, 2010 at 7:10 pm

@nimrod ~ I hear ya on that one!

@Kirk ~ I didn’t dare put on my waders for fear of being caught and drowned.

@MNAngler ~ I’d say there was about 12 inches between all those fisherman. I just watched the show, listened to the cussin’ and braved my 3 casts (temporary insanity on my part)

@Brett ~ I know, I shouldn’t have used the word intimate…..but as I sat on a rock and watched them all fishing that morning I kept thinking about what an intimate experience they were all engaging in. Like, group something or other…..

Colorado AnglerNo Gravatar June 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm

What a nightmare. And close to what I experienced over the Memorial Day weekend on the Taylor C&R here in Colorado. However, I was fortunate enough to be fishing next to a strikingly beautiful
lady that had sick skills with the fly rod…which kept the level of competition at a hectic pace.

I think it’s safe to say we’ve all managed a good start to the summer fishing season….

Mr. BrownlinerNo Gravatar July 25, 2010 at 7:16 am

Rebecca…. Not for all the tea in China could you pay me to fish with that many people in that small a spot! You are truly a better fisherperson than I! That deserves a big OMG!