River (and Blog) Slacker

by Rebecca on May 4, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

~Naptime on the River~

There’s something to be said for alittle slacker time. Sometimes when I’ve been out on the river all day and the fish have snuggled in for their version of an afternoon siesta, I’ll seek out a nice shady spot that harbors the least amount of ants and let the sound of water lull me off into a nap.

Those little moments can be the best sort of slacker times, the peaceful, restful, regenerating type. Of course they can also be the worst—depends on the sort of bugs that come along when you are blissfully unaware— nothing like waking up and discovering your face became a buffet for the resident mosquitoes……

As for slacker time on a blog……..I consider my time here as enjoyable as taking a nap on the side of a river (without the threat of bugs) but lately I haven’t been able to step out of the River of Life for a little pause.
The good news: I sense a slack section just up around the bend and I’m paddling hard for it ~

KirkNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm

You’re just toying with us. You reel us in with engaging material that creates an unsatiable desire for more. Then you go off bass fishing, leaving us hanging by a thread of 7x waiting, wanting, for more…Not to worry, I got nowhere else to go, so I shall wait. Maybe nap a little to pass the time – until you give us more.

ClifNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

No bugs, but some of us are awfully creepy.

ZachNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Usually when I nap by the river people think I’m homeless.

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Dude…that is funny as hell

ShoremanNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Hey Rebecca. Can’t think of anything better than a power nap on a warm afternoon. In my case, doesn’t matter if I’m on the river or in my livingroom.

DaveNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Hey now! Fishing, napping, creepy crawlers, fishing, napping, more fishing… Where do I sign up?
Speaking of fishing and slacking, you mean there’s more to life? Well if there is, that’ll just interfere with my fishing and slacking.
Don’t feel bad, I’ve been blog slacking too.
Hope you catch a bunch of mega-trout!
By the way, we need more proof than just a pic of Bandon taking a streamside nap!

Have fun out there!
Dave

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm

That picture is freaking adorable!

shannonNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Slacking rules just like golden retrievers rule! At least you’re not looking at the mother of all oil spills, and knowing there’s not a thing you can do about it. Maybe if I take a little nap it will all go away. shannon

Casey HarnNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Great pic! The “camera shyness” takes naps , too.

WolfyNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Rebecca – I’m a firm advocate of the “Slacker Nap”. No matter how hard I try, though, I seem to locate my nap attempts directly on top of some subteranean ant farm. Or maybe they just think I’m a big piece of carrion and figure I’m the biggest picnic for them, ever. Oh well.

Happy dreams

RebeccaNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

@Kirk ~ Well, I don’t mean to be a tease (despite the fact I’m female and I’m genetically engineered in the fine art) but there’s only so many hours in the day and with work, family AND required fly fishing time some things fall into the acceptable slack category. Like the minute I posted this entry……I HAD to go fly fishing. Priorities ya know =)

@Clif ~ So far I’m lucky, none of you have taken a bite out of me, so I am not fearful!

@Zach ~ You should put your net at your feet with a little sign for asking for flies. Could be a good gig during nap time.

@Shoreman ~ LOL both serve the same purpose!

@Dave ~ The next time I’m napping on the riverbank, I’ll have Bandon take a picture =)

@ColoradoAngler ~ Tis the best way to get a face on picture of her. Wait until she’s asleep! Shy ya know.

@Shannon ~ I’m so sorry to hear about/read about/watch TV about that oil spill. I can’t imagine how that feels. We are all thinking of you guys down there!

@Casey ~ She does indeed. I had to carefully sneak up on her to get the picture otherwise she would have dissed me once again.

@Wolfy ~ I hear ya! Finding the right outdoor nap spot takes patience. Between the ants, the wasps, the mosquitoes and the mother of all biters–the horse flies, we nappers don’t stand much of a chance for a good peaceful snooze. BUT, always worth a try!

MelNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm

As any respected fly fishing gal should know, napping along the stream while fly fishing should bring lots of “flies”. It is time for my bed now.

James MannNo Gravatar May 5, 2010 at 4:00 am

Napping by fishable water, I just can’t wrap my mind around that one. I get so wired when I am fishing that if I tried to nap I would feel like there were ants in my pants.

Can you tell I don’t get out fishing as often as I would like?

Your dog is sleeping so soundly there I thought perhaps, well glad it’s just a nap.

Brett ColvinNo Gravatar May 5, 2010 at 7:58 am

Zach: Fish with a bowler hat man. When you take a nap, leave it upside down by your feet and you’ll wake up to enough singles for a choice beverage.

Rebecca – fun post. I’ll have another please.

RobNo Gravatar May 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

Oh good! I was about to file a missing persons report….LOL!

RebeccaNo Gravatar May 5, 2010 at 11:19 am

@Mel ~ I should know better. The risks we toy with when in the Great Outdoors ;)

@James ~ Usually my naps happen after a day or two of straight fishing and when I do take the time, it’s pretty nice! Go for extended days at a time and you’ll appreciate that nap =)

@ Brett ~ Zach might be onto something. The true Trout Bum way of life! I just posted another, a bleak plea for Bass advice!

@Rob ~ I know, I know. I’m coming up for air now!

John SoaresNo Gravatar May 14, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Rebecca, slacker time is important for everyone. It keeps us relaxed and happy.

And I love the snoozing golden retriever. Looks like my old golden Hana who’s up in doggy heaven.