Fairy Fishing Dust with a slab of Salmon

by Rebecca on May 27, 2010

in Salmon Fishing

Salmon Smile

Have any of you ever experienced the phenomenon of fishing that is so amazing, so unbelievably perfect that you feel like all the stars aligned and the Fairy Godmother of Fishing has swooped down, covered your gear with fishy gold dust, granted you 24 hours of the most perfect casts and extraordinary drift presentation known to man WITH willing, eager fish?

Or, in simple terms. You went on a fishing trip and it rocked. BOO-YAHH

Well that was me—- specifically on Monday 5/17/2010. Fairy fishing dust, aligned stars, perhaps a whole years of good fishing karma used up on one historical (for me) day of salmon fishing. I’m still grinning like a fool from the whole experience which trumps the other lasting effects like the pretty bruises and the questionable internal injuries I’m still feeling from that day.

~More Salmon in the Fiesta~

This is how I claimed my piece of perfection. I found a magic rock to stand on. I found a honey hole slot that the salmon were moving (piling) through. I figured out the exact weight to use and the perfect length of leader. Somehow I figured out the exact spot to cast into without snagging up and just how far down the slot to guide my line before I needed to recast or more often than not, set the hook.

I set the hook a lot. So often that Slayer (who was struggling for much of the day) started counting my fish on, fish in the net, fishing broke off, totals. At this point I think he did that because on some level his fishing ego was on the line, but thankfully by the end of the day he was doing fine himself. Since he counted (I never do) I’ll share. Evidently I caught into 58 salmon.  Out of those 58,  I got 31 int0 the net. At the end of the day my jello arms and wounded body parts agreed with those numbers as well.

~Last Salmon of the Night~

However~ big numbers, sore arms, impaling of the butt of my rod into my ribcage and a melted reel aside, I did something else that day that made it beyond special. A little gal, age 14, came along the river with her dad. I asked her if she had caught any salmon over the weekend and she replied, “well, I hooked two in 3 days, but they broke off really fast.” Insta-mission for me.

I told her to grab her rod and I took her down to my magic rock. I made her swear to keep the magic to herself and showed her my exact line of casting and drifting. Magic I tell ya ~ Savannah caught (and for once I DID count) exactly 7 salmon in one hour. She rocked it and dropped the jaws of about 20 other fisherman around. I was one extremely proud instructor. Just when I didn’t think anyones grin on that river could get any bigger than mine, Savannahs smile blew right by my own. Priceless………

I’m not sure when my next magical fishing day will happen again. I know I tried to re-enact the scenario again this last weekend only to be rightfully (and without mercy) humbled back into realistic expectations ~ salmon fishing can be tough. Doesn’t matter though, I had my day, the one that will carry me all through the year. Boo-yahh

~ It was a good day...a really good day....~

Dave CarpenterNo Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

Sharing your “magic” with a young angler, that’s something special…… The Fairy Godmother of Fishing will reward you again in the future for that random act of kindness!

Dave

RobNo Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Please tell me that you cooked one of those bad boys up!

We used to catch those in Upstate NY. Had to snag them and drag them, foul hooked across the current in the St Lawrence River………

That’s so awesome! Just remember this day the next time you have the skunk on….that’s what makes it worth fishing.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Oh…YEAH! Sounds (and looks) like the most fun [another part of this phrase is deleted in deference to good taste]. As you said, BOO-YAHH!

GuyNo Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm

This sure must of been a special moment to share this magical spot with this 14 years old…Now you took and hooked her for life out of the jaws of drug and…
Thank you for doing what you do…sharring and loving on people…we need people like you…
Have a great day…and I am sure the Fishing Dust will be at the bottom of your pack for many years to come…

nimrod243No Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm

WOW!!! That’s the kind of fishing you’d expect to read about from Alaska or in some ancient book about how fishing used to be! Congratulations.

ClifNo Gravatar May 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm

You made the mistake of posting three clear pictures. I have triangulated your magic spot and will be there in 2 days.

WolfyNo Gravatar May 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

Sharing your Magic Day with the 14 year old girl CERTAINLY earned you more Magic Dust!

Those days are few and far between, but we remember them forever. And, somehow, they help push aside the memories of the day when we broke our rod in the 1st half hour after a 2 hour hike into a remote stream.

Awesome day fro you, Rebecca, on multiple levels – congrats.

Dan GarlockNo Gravatar May 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Great story, great pictures, touching part about sharing with another. Keep the stories coming, spread the fairy dust.

John SoaresNo Gravatar May 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

Rebecca, that was very sweet of you to share your lucky spot with that girl.

And you caught some beautiful salmon.

James MannNo Gravatar May 31, 2010 at 4:20 am

I love those fishing trips that turn out perfect and I love Atlantic salmon fishing here in New Brunswick.

The thing about Atlantic salmon is that they don’t eat while in the rivers spawning so you can make a lot and I mean a lot of casts without any action whatsoever but then BAM and you instantly forget all those previous casts and your heart is pounding so hard you’re sure the person beside you can hear it.

I’ve never fished fast moving water like you have in your images. I am sure I would have to learn some new things for that.

MNAnglerNo Gravatar June 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

Wowzers! Great story. You can’t beat a great day of fishing. Except when you share it with a young angler.

William @ AnglerWiseNo Gravatar June 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Don’t you just love it when the fishing goes the way you want it to. Wow, 31 salmon landed. I would be tired from that but the excitement would keep me going until I collapse. Quite the fisher-woman you are. Thanks for the great post.

KirkNo Gravatar June 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Karma can be a beyotch, but in this case she showed her softer side. Well done, all the way around.
And remember, your very best day is yet to come.

SavannahNo Gravatar June 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Haha. Thanks Rebecca! That seriously was the magic rock! I feel pretty cool this season. I love salmon fishing! Last year at South Fork really got me hooked, but this season has been awesome! I like to know that I have some fishing talents…. (: