BassMaster-ess, Sort Of…..

by Rebecca on May 13, 2010

in Fly Fishing For Bass

~River Smallie on my Fly Rod (victory!) -- Photo By Bryan Forsmann~

As another weekend of fishing went down in my history, I sit here and wonder what exactly I should write about. The choices seem endless……the bad weather, the fleeting moments of decent weather, the deep fried bacon wrapped hot dogs, the G-force experienced on a Bass Boat, the laughter of good friends, the gas can that went up in glorious flames or the BASS I actually caught…..

I think today I’ll focus on my much anticipated Bass Fishing experience. I have to admit, I was skeptical! I know my loyalty to trout could potentially label me as a fishist, but that’s the risk I take when I write the truth. I know trout.  Bass on the other hand…we are about as familiar with each other as I am with Nascar. Both have sponsors? Let’s just blame my Idaho Mountain upbringing.

For the record: I brought my Fly Rod on the Bass Boat.

Speaking of boats. Ummm…hello? Why didn’t anyone warn me about BASS BOATS? My lifetime boating experiences have been limited to aluminum boats that chugged along at 5 mph, a couple ocean excursions on fat lazy boats and 1 drift boat ride. That’s it. So imagine my surprise when Captain and Bassmaster Terry Battisti let the Bass boat out of the starting gate and after an impressive gravity defying move we were soaring across the water. Fast. Like instant face lift fast. The good news is the air pressure cleaned out my sinuses, the bad news is I discovered later that evening my inner ear didn’t take to boating very well. It’s a sad day when you feel drunk without ever taking a sip of alcohol.

~ Cheesy Bass Grin --Photo by Bryan Forsmann~

As for Bassin’ like the Pro’s do it. I think I held my own. Once Terry was done mapping an area with his high tech electrical equipment, it was time to fish.  I longingly looked at my Fly Rod, safe and cozy in it’s tube strapped flat on the front of the boat, but quickly accepted the swanky G.Loomis rod complete with bait-caster he offered up. I knew I was out of my element when I saw the large rubber lizard attached to the end of the line. I asked the important questions, like, ‘what am I supposed to do?’ and Terry gave me a quick crash course.

First cast, nothing. Second cast….Bass on! I’m pretty sure I hollared, yelled, made a big deal out of my fish. Rockstar status after two casts!  At that point I figured, ‘oh, this is easy, send me over the jacket with my name on it and some sponsor patches.’  I glanced back to make sure my Bass Guru was fully aware I was in Fish On mode and noticed Terry also had a fish on. Every fisherman needs a humble moment like that, so I let go of my visions of a sponsor jacket and got back to work.

I caught more Bass, I went for long periods without a single bite. I’m fairly certain no one will be knocking on my door to hand me a jet rocket Bass Boat and a bright pink sponsor jacket anytime soon. Despite the cold and nasty wind, I had a blast. Terry was an excellent teacher and showed great patience to the newbies on his boat. And surprise, surprise, Bass are pretty fun to catch. They have such a different demeanor than trout. It’s like they are pissed off when you hook them and they let you know it under no uncertain terms. I like that sort of attitude.

Lastly, after the day of bass boat fishing was done and we went back to camp ( below the dam on the Snake river) I snuck down to the rocky bank to try my hand at Fly Fishing for river Bass. The first time I actually caught one I thought, there, I did it. I’ve completed my mission. Fish like the Bass Pro’s do it AND catch one on my fly rod.  And…I caught more than just one Bass on my Fly Rod, as in, it wasn’t an accident!
Sponsorship offers can be emailed to Outdooress@gmail.com =)

Thank you Terry for a great fishing experience.
You are my Bassin’ Guru ~
Thank you Bryan for taking proof pictures of me and my fish.
You are a rare treat for me.

Bassin’ Rebecca

AlishaNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 10:55 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE bass fishing. I would love to try fly fishing sometime though! It looks fun! You should come down in the spring and snag for spoonbill! Tons of fun!

troutrageous1No Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 11:05 am

Very cool experience, thanks for sharing. I haven’t tried bass on the fly yet, but it’s something that looks like fun when the summer heat kicks on. What were you using…a streamer? Folks in my parts love stripping poppers for smallmouth.

RobNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 11:49 am

AWESOME! I’m really glad that you’re getting into “other” fishing. Sort of opens up options….Ayla was happy with the clan until she got kicked out and had to find “the Others”….

Now…. you know that you have an open invite to come to Florida and chase reds, snook and trout, tarpon , kingfish and of course …bass if you want, all the while sweltering in a kayak without jet propulsion……

ClifNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm

What a glorious weekend. Good work making sure to snag one on the fly rod!

ClifNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm

By “snag” I meant “catch legitimately”

KirkNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Sounds like you had a grand trip and expanded your fishing horizons. Bass definitely have that predator mentality which matches the competitive nature of corporate-sponsored bass fishing tournaments. Trout, as a general rule, just aren’t as mean and those who cast the long rod for trout tend to be rather laid back by comparison. And a lazy trip in a drift boat on a tame river certainly doesn’t have the same pucker facter as a bass boat as it chine walks at 70 mph! That being said, a hook-jawed brown chasing a 6 inch streamer is a fish to be reckoned with ;) Even if you don’t take up competitive bass fishing, I’ll sponsor you as long as you’re willing to wear…oh, never mind. ;)

KirkNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Sounds like you had a grand trip and expanded your fishing horizons. Bass definitely have that predator mentality which matches the competitive nature of corporate-sponsored bass fishing tournaments. Trout, as a general rule, just aren’t as mean and those who cast the long rod for trout tend to be rather laid back by comparison. And a lazy trip in a drift boat on a tame river certainly doesn’t have the same pucker facter as a bass boat as it chine walks at 70 mph! That being said, a hook-jawed brown chasing a 6 inch streamer is a fish to be reckoned with. Even if you don’t take up competitive bass fishing, I’ll sponsor you as long as you’re willing to wear…oh, never mind. We’ve already had this conversation ;)

KirkNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm

damn browser- please delete my duplicate post ;)

Casey HarnNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I’m glad your were introduced to bass fishing by catching smallmouth! My fave, I should say. Never caught one on a fly rod though! Congrats!

MelNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Smallmouth bass are some of the finest fish you can catch rather on a casting rod or a fly rod. They have shoulders! Envious of your experience. Happy hook ups, Rebecca.

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 8:13 pm

That’s really cool – especially for your first time targeting bass on a fly rod.

I’ve heard nothing but great things about landing bass on a long rod…never tried it myself. But it looks like you had a blast!

WolfyNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 8:50 pm

LOVE smallmouth – I used to guide for them many years ago. Get a big one and you’ll be hooked for life.

Any luck on the sturgeon?

KenNo Gravatar May 14, 2010 at 6:16 am

Those Bass Boats cost more than my car :o )

Glad you had a good experience with the pissed off fish.

BarbaraNo Gravatar May 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I’d say you amply proved your worthiness among the bassites. Way to go ‘Becca! And you have a natural affinity to look great outdoors!

MNAnglerNo Gravatar May 26, 2010 at 6:48 am

How about a trade? Bass fishing in Minnesota for fly fishing in Idaho.