The Dark Side of Nature

by Rebecca on April 15, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

~There Was No Hiding From This~

Recently I shared a sunset picture I captured on camera that made me weak in the knees. This picture has the same ability but on a totally different level. The sunset I watched from a leisure place in the distance. When I took this picture I was up close and personal with a storm front that quickly came up the Mountain to kick my ass.

I took the picture with the same thought process that a person who is about die scribbles a quick farewell letter. I figured if I didn’t live, the lucky soul who found me frozen to death could flip through my camera and say, “Oh, oh I see. Poor girl got taken down by one of them blizzard fronts that look like black fire sneaking up the side of a mountain to snuff you out.”

In case anyone is wondering. I was elk hunting and had been dropped off topside with the intention of hiking down to a much lower rendezvous point. The theory is good and when I left the sanctuary of the truck the skies were blue and cloudy. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Nature waited until I was a good mile down the mountain before she whipped up her special blend of twisted humor.

I lived, but it was definetly one of those days I couldn’t ignore the thought.
You know the one.
It chants ”Really wish I was fly fishing right now.” Over and over……..

RobNo Gravatar April 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Looks like the clouds when a hurricane hits around here. I’ll have to dig some up for ya.

ShoremanNo Gravatar April 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

It is definately one of those “haul ass and hide” kind of events. glad you’re OK.

ZachNo Gravatar April 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

That looks awesome. I hear if you throw stuff at those things and call them bad names they will go away.

Colorado AnglerNo Gravatar April 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

That’s a bad time if I ever saw one.

Zach…I’m going to try that next time….

WolfyNo Gravatar April 16, 2010 at 6:43 am

Awesome, scary picture. Doesn’t look like there were too many places to hunker down and “wait that one out”

John WooldridgeNo Gravatar April 16, 2010 at 7:29 am

Outstanding picture great post, I just love being in the middle of a storm – makes you feel kind of alive in a scary way – but the ones you have on your side of the pond? – Really wish I was fly fishing right now……. thanks for sharing.
Regards,
John

KenNo Gravatar April 16, 2010 at 7:47 am

That is an amazing picture, makes me chilled just looking at it. Tricky mother nature, waiting for you to be a mile down, snickering at you with each step :o )

ken morrowNo Gravatar April 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ah, that’s a good story with a good pic to go with it!

Reminds me of the time I was mountain climbing with my Japanese friend on Towada in June. We were up on this massive volcano where the whole back 1/2 of the mountain is simply missing. Incredible sight from up top and you have to climb the 1/2 that remains a typical Japanese alpine landscape to see it. When you get to the summit, you’re suddenly confronted with one of the most stark contrasts in topography I have ever seen.

We made camp for the night about 1000 ft below the summit w/summer alpine gear. I didn’t know any better. My Japanese friend probably should have. A couple hours after dark the temp was plummeting from in the 70′s to well below freezing and we were in a blizzard! We had to go into survival mode and eventually broke camp and retreated to the truck, where we ran the engine and heater until daylight.

On our way down the mountain that morning, Koike-san told me a story of a Japanese battalion of commandos who were training on this mountain during WW2 who got caught in a blizzard in July and were all killed. We stopped at the monument to drive the point home. Not wanting to put my friend in any more of an embarassing situation, I didn’t ask why we weren’t prepared for that sort of thing if it was well-known that it could happen. Shame and personal responsibility are very touchy things with the Japanese. And the weather in high altitude in high latitudes is too.

kirkNo Gravatar April 17, 2010 at 8:45 am

That’s a crazy photo…ominous, daunting, freakish and violent. Looks like a lot of dust in those clouds, too? But you’ve only teased us – where’s the full story of how you weathered this storm? Inquiring minds must know more…