A little Fly Fishing Fate

by Rebecca on April 6, 2010

~From under the Blackberry Camera~

When I woke up yesterday it was rasnowing. You know, a sweet mixture of rain and snow. It was exactly the kind of mixed weather signal that just dared me to go out and fly fish in it. So being the brave and fearless sort of fisherman that I am, I grabbed my gear– plus one dog and headed straight for a Fly Shop to pick out a new fly or two that gave off a rasnowing fishing vibe.

I do love visiting this fly shop. The guys that run it, (especially you Michael) are always smiling,  helpful and encouraging of my activities both on the river and this website.

While Michael and I sifted through the flies we chatted it up, fly shop style. Like a good Fly Fishing Pastor, Michael kept me in check when my hand hovered over the stripper pole flashy type nymphs and he dropped several Holy Celestial flies into my plastic tithing cup. No multicolored flash with neon disco dubbing and extra large beadheads for me…..

As I was waiting to check out I found myself surveying another anglers pile of purchases. Now, normally I would never snoop like this, but something caught my eye and I couldn’t resist (no really, there was no containing myself) asking what in the world were those thingamajigs.  Now, I won’t get into what those thingamajigs were because that calls for a whole ‘nother blog entry, but I was concerned about the wayward angler and told him I had a better solution right outside in my truck.

My Fly Fishing Good Deed for the week got a check mark when I shared two items from my personal stock of illicit and controversial enablers. Based on the ratio of good vs. evil, I realize today I probably could have gotten away with one sinfully sparkly fly because my good deed would have balanced out the sinner flash……

Sinful flash aside, I believe that my good tidings to the Fly Fishing Brethren did inspire a bit of reward from the weather front. It stopped rasnowing while I was in the Fly Shop and only a non-fisher type would argue that these things aren’t all linked together in one large cosmic cloud of FATE.

The ever loyal Bandon and I raced down to the river for what ended up being an afternoon of tree snags and little hatchery trout. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I absolutely hate losing flies and typically I hold onto my little furry friends like a nun clutches her rosary. The area I choose to fish was new to me and despite exploration I was unable to find either a wadeable area or a section of river that wasn’t surrounded by trees, bushes and weeds.

Perfect for the fish of course, a nightmare for casting and missed hook sets. I won’t admit how many flies I lost or how many trees I climbed or even how many cuss words I spewed. Instead I will let yesterdays fly fishing excursion lie in the past and offer up a mini-video I took while retying for the blankenty blankth time.

Disclaimer: I didn’t take a camera yesterday. This is from my new Blackberry which I took to the river swaddled in 2 ziplock bags. I’ve never done video and I’m not convinced I should. There’s a reason I don’t have a lot of pictures of myself and furthermore, why there are no videos of me. I tend to flip off camera operators, spit like a hissing cat and run the opposite direction when a lens is lurking around. But, because of this person…..and this person….I’m testing out the possibilities with this irrelevant, shaky and pointless video ~

I know. I’m as big a chicken as Bandon is, but at least I don’t try to lick fish ~

WolfyNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

I’ve always been rather partial to flies of the stripper pole variety – the more arms, legs, wings, flash-a-bou, glitter, superflash, tungsten, and brass, the better. I guess I’m just easily amused.

And now you’re a videographer, to add to your ever growing resume. Kudos to you, Rebecca – my video effforts are still in the infantile stages of development.

Finally, I DO like the mental image I have of you spitting like a hissing cat as the lens emerges! Nice wordsmithing.

ZachNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Dang. You have some serious confidence setting your rod next to the dog. He’s probably thinking about the good taste of that cork. I don’t worry so much about losing flies. Casualties happen.

NerverackerNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I thought you would be tying those stripper pole abominations by now what happened?
As for expensive or inexpensive cell phones, I’ll be the first to tell you that they don’t swim so well in the river, and they never operate the same after they’ve had that chilly baptism. Good move with the 2 ziplock baggies! I have a phone still swimming somewhere in the Middle Fork of the Willamette. Now, my phone stays tethered to my waders.
Loosing flies is a fact of life! Which is why I now tie my own. Loosing a fly is now much less costly and doesn’t come with the sting it used to. I also keep my vise and materials in the car, so if I need to whip out another fly, I can do so in just a few minutes time.
Nice work with the video.
As far as sharing my personal stash, it is normal for me to bestow sometimes several flies to any fellow angler I meet. I tie them for pure enjoyment, and to fish with. Also, many hours are spent at the vise out of sheer boredom. Which end up giving me a surplus of flies, and many times more than I know what to do with. So, giving them to other anglers just seems to be fitting, at least for me.
Oh, lick a few fish, it won’t hurt (ok that gives me the heebee jeebees). Or better yet, be like Jimmy Houston and give em a kiss before they swim off.

Dave

AustinNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I wish the WonderPup would go fishing with me like that. He’s still pretty heavy in the Pup mentality and chooses to rush off and bound away. I’d spend more time yelling at him to stop scaring the fish then I would actual spend time waving the stick in the air.

ClifNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 3:16 pm

You and the dog think alike when it comes to video cameras, huh?

ClifNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

By the way, that’s a good video. With some practice, you’ll soon realize letting Bandon lick the fish would have made it great.

And thanks for the link!

RebeccaNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm

@Wolfy ~ I also like the sparklies. Shiny, flashy blinking neon signs make my eyes twitch and my hand reach for the dollar bills. However, I know some of them are empty tips known only to dazzle the fly fisherman in the shop and zero fish on the river. So I do try to resist the really bedazzled ones. As for the videographer on my resume—-we’ll see!

@Zach ~ She’s been through a rigorous training. One chew on a fly rod and she knows I’d ground her from fishing trips for a year =)

@Nerveracker ~ I know. I know. The fly tying thing still isn’t connecting with me. My Blackberry is only a week old so I made sure and swaddled it up water tight and left it up on the bank far from the water with my flybag. Surplus of flies? You shouldn’t say that around non-tying fly fisherman or we might set up on your street corner with a cardboard sign~

@Austin ~ The Wonderpup is a Yellow Lab, right? And Male too….I used to have one and honestly, mine never, ever calmed down. BUT hopefully the Wonderpup learns that a day on the river is worth quietly hanging out until his Papa says it’s time to retrieve sticks in the water!

@Clif ~ We do, us ladies. We are camera shy, but both in training to get over it. I have no doubt it would have been funny to get Bandon on camera trying to lick my little fish, however, I wasn’t willing to risk my new Blackberry over the water while holding flyrod, net and dog back =) Next up, I’ll drag the Flip to the river, with tripod and try it that way.

KenNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Brandon was acting just like a cat :o )

Love the blackberry, I am slowly investigating, uploaded my first photo to facebook today [patting self on back].

ShoremanNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hey Rebecca. I get so much pleasure reading your posts. I don’t know anyone that has a way with words, like you do. Always puts a smile on my face. Keep up the good work.

Colorado AnglerNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Way to go, Rebecca! See? That wasn’t all that difficult, now was it? And…AND…I can see your video…you might want to upgrade your browser. Just sayin…

Brandon rocks…I had a friend like him, years ago…haven’t had the heart to get another…still doesn’t feel right.

Flashy flies…hmmm….yeah, I don’t get geeked out on flashy flies. If anything, less is more with me, and I don’t do too bad with my brand of fishing. Lean into the old-school side, Rebecca….LEEEEEAAAAAAN……

Rasnowing? HA! I’m stealing that one…too good not to!

RebeccaNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm

@Ken ~ Bandon did display the stubborness of a cat, didn’t she…..Congrats on the Blackberry. I’m enjoying my new one and still figuring out all the bells and whistles. I haven’t tried uploading to Facebook yet, but I did pull of twitter yesterday with the above photo ~

@Shoreman ~ Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. I appreciate them very much and promise to keep working at it =)

@ColoradoAngler ~ Ok, it was pretty easy while I was sitting on the bank and I pulled out the Blackberry. We’ll see how I do when I drag the flip mino with the tripod out. I’m afraid I’ll have the same reaction as Bandon and refuse to look at the camera! If you ever do consider another dog, I can’t recommend a Golden Retriever enough. Best dog I’ve EVER had. Excellent on the river I might add.
Flashy flies, I admit, I really like to look at them. I fall pray to the Ooolala fascination on the rack. However, I rarely buy or fish them (lessons learned a long time ago) I’ll keep leaning into the old school, but those flashers sure are purty =) Rasnow anytime your weather calls for it!

Colorado AnglerNo Gravatar April 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I agree – Golden is the only way to go. My Quincy was one in a million and I still miss her company. Someday soon, perhaps…

KirkNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I love how Bandon was shinin’ you on. Dogs never cooperate for the camera. But beyond that, I found the video to be very revealing, in a manner just the opposite of how things play out on the radio. You’ve heard the saying, “Disappointment is seeing your first DJ” No? OK, well how about, “You’ve got a face for radio.”? In your case, we’ve seen the Outdooress but only now have we heard the voice to go with the face, and the voice matches the face, which can’t be said for most disc jockeys. Thanks for a glimpse into the voice of the Outdooress.

RebeccaNo Gravatar April 7, 2010 at 8:52 am

She did shine me. If she could talk I can only imagine the smack she would talk. I’m kinda relieved you commented about the voice thing. I’ve never met a person who listened to their own recorded voice that said they liked it, that includes me. Next up, myself in video ~ I may need to take a valium before I post one of those =)

ScottNo Gravatar April 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I really enjoyed the “addition” blogs but now seeing that the conversation has gone all techy, so I thought I would mention how I have been throwing a little kindling on the fly fishing desire fire. Lately I have spent my “couch time” using the free google earth software download to fly down any drainage systems of any snowy crag I can find in within a 3 hour drive from Boise. Just for giggles I have marked every decent sized confluence into the Snake that I can find. I have even discovered a few creeks that had eluded me over the last 33 years. Now tremble fish at my God-like ability to look down upon thee!

James MannNo Gravatar April 24, 2010 at 5:25 am

Is it great fun fly fishing in the wind, rain and snow? I have one day that always comes to mind when I hear about a day like that.

I was out fly fishing with a couple of friends. It actually looked like a fine day before we left home but once we got close to where we were fishing for the day the darker it got. So much so that we stopped at a convenience store and picked and each of us picked up one of those cheap ponchos to keep the rain off us a bit.

I was very windy as well and my poncho was ripped right off my body and was gone within the first hour of fishing.

I spent the rest of the day freezing my butt off but the fishing was so hot I couldn’t even stop long enough to take the 5 minute walk back to the truck to dry off and warm up a bit. Not a chance…

It was probably my best day of trout fishing for that entire season and it was just after April 15, opening day. I now keep my rain gear with my fishing gear and it comes with us every time.

I wish I still had Shadow to take fishing, she was my best friend and I miss her.