Photo Journal: Via Cheap Camera and nearly Dead Battery

by Rebecca on March 27, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

~Have Camera, Will Point and Shoot for Flies~

What does someone who lacks photography skills, carries a cheap 100 dollar point and shoot camera, typically eeks out 1 or 2 photos before her camera battery dies and doesn’t have photo editing software do with the photos she does manage to capture?

Well…..start a photo journal section on her fly fishing blog of course.

I see this website as a documentary (of sorts) of my time and observations spent in the Great Outdoors. To do it right, for me that is, visual confirmation of what I’ve seen goes hand in hand with the writing I enjoy. (Visitors are subjected to whatever I come up with on any given day, sorry, but that’s the price of admission which includes bad photography) Based on that concept, I’m going to include  the occasional photograph of what I see when I’m out wandering around—-without the need for a long winded written entry like I usually produce.

And based on my exploration through the photographs I do have last night…I’ve seen some truly beautiful and interesting places. Things I look forward to sharing, bad photography and all.

~I’m a rather lucky soul if I say so myself~

KenNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 11:54 am

They say a picture is worth a thousand words…

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Nice pics, Rebecca. Still too sick to move.

BenNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I am part of the cheap camera / shoot what you see club too.

Nice spotty trout there!

KirkNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 4:26 pm

THose aren’t recent photos are they? Short sleeves, tanned arms, and a big fat RB are indicative of warmer times. Looking forward to seeing more photos, and if you need any help Photochopping them, lemme know! ; )

fishingpoetNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Awesome! Such a perfect addition to an already great blog. Keep on keeping on.
FP

WolfyNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm

ALL photos from our adventures are great photos. Hell, last year I had to use a Poloroid and scan the instant photo, because that was what was available on that particular day.

Re: dead batteries – I’ve actually started taking 2 cameras because I KNOW one will find a way to kill itself. Dead batteries, fall from my pocket onto the only rock in site, …

DanNo Gravatar March 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm

The trick to recording a fish or hunting trip is take the pictures. Its funny how time flies by. Before you realize it the trip is over and your heading home. But my last hunting trip I was taking movie pictures of everything I thought was important. End of the day, I was all set to get movie pictures my brother shooting a bull moose and of course the battery went dead.

Just My Luck, Idaho Dan

RobNo Gravatar March 28, 2010 at 5:32 am

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with a cheap point and shoot camera. That’s what I use and even though I’m not some world class photographer, I’d like to think that I take pretty good shots, when I actually take the camera out of its case of course….take yesterday for instance….maiden voyage with the new kayak, camera in the water tight box with phone, smokies and keys in the center console right in front of me. Caught a 12 inch speckled trout on my first cast of the day and didn’t take ONE single photo the whole day. Uncanny….

Rob

BigerrfishNo Gravatar March 28, 2010 at 5:54 am

I have a cheep camera that takes ok pictures, it and a mini tripod travel the stream every time,,,, but I carry my phone too, most of the time I get a better picture with the LG VU…. all of my up close pictures of flies for my blog are taken with my phone set on micro mode………… it rocks!

This is sort of what I thought about your post, Can you cast a vote as well as a fly,,,,, See, the quicker the cast is forgotten about she sooner the fishing begins…same with pictures….forget about it!….catch something!! take a picture if it looks cool!!…….words of a fly fishing freak….. You see that guy or gal in the middle of the river hitting the water with every backcast? and yet they wont stop casting. the fly hits the water so hard they probly think that scared them so they do it again…and again until they feel like writing home about how far they can CAST… the point is….are you casting or are you fishing? they are different ya know,,, so are we photographers or fishermen? both? kinda hard to be both..right? Crapy self shot photos, granted doesnt show your photo skill to the folks on the web but one who looks between the lines would think that, the more self shot, crappy pics, means the fishman (chicie) is too busy keeping there head in the game of the fish, to worry about how a pic is going to turn out on like on a 17 inch screen….sorry for my ramblings Rebecca,,,,,,,,,can anyone relate to me?……..

ken morrowNo Gravatar March 28, 2010 at 7:09 am

my uncontrollable ego is going to assume that you have taken inspiration from MY blog…realizing that i am a horrible photographer who also uses a cheap point-n-shoot camera with no significant ability to edit photos beyond cropping them. i’m flattered. if you need any more tips on how to produce a truly first class mediocre web presence, don’t hesitate to ask. LMAO but you have me beaten already in terms of photographic subject matter. search UPSTREAM all you want to and you won’t find many shots of my happy face smiling at my cheap camera. that would be a sure-fire way to run off my readers, whereas i suspect the more self-portraits you post the more popular your blog will become. ;)

ClifNo Gravatar March 28, 2010 at 7:36 am

I agree with Bigerr, once you start fishing with a DSLR camera around your neck, you’re no longer an angler.

If you have a Flip camera, where are the videos?

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar March 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Cave drawings, etched in stone…cheap camera…it’s all good, as long as you capture the moment somehow.

But like Dan says, the trick is to actually do it. Guys like me, with the attention span of a circus monkey…I get on the water and I forget to record anything, so you’re already one up on me!

RebeccaNo Gravatar March 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! I know now no matter what oddball, out of focus picture I put up, you all will ignore the obvious flaws and understand it’s a miracle I even took a photo.

@Ken ~ But of course you were the inspiration!

@Bigerrfish ~ Considering how few fish pictures I have stored in my computer here it’s obvious photography was typically the last thing on my mind. However, with the old blog now, I’m a trying to be more on top of things. It hasn’t worked out so well—YET

@Dan and ColoradoAngler~ I’m in the dead battery, forgot to do it catagory all the way. However, I’m attempting to make an effort. Blog responsibilities ya know =)

@Clif ~ I’m working on my live video bravado. In other words, currently I’m a chicken shit and dodge video cameras like they will kill me. Which is why I’m always the one holding thing. Soon though….promise.