My Outdoor Sidekick Had a Birthday

by Rebecca on March 31, 2010

in Outdoor Photo Journal

~Fishing At The Lake~

Yesterday my daughter Kaitlyn, aka Z Outdoor Sidekick, turned 15 years old…. ‘Scuse me while I choke and sputter a bit over that number. I figure I’m approaching the cut off zone. Not the one that gets me out of the legal noose of parental responsibility (18), but the one that decides whether the kid will need a shrink or not to get over her childhood.

I’m hoping, via parental optimisim, that all the time she’s spent in the outdoors exploring the world with me will balance out all my other shortcomings as a parent. Sort of like, “Mama gets a pardon for not baking cupcakes for the school bingo night because the next day she took me fly fishing on the South Fork” kind of deal. A parent can hope, right?!

Happy Birthday Kaitlyn!

~Kate And I~

KirkNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Happy Birthday to Kaitlyn! While I’m sure you’ve done an admirable job in parenting her up the right way (emphasis on fishing vs. cupcaking), you won’t know until the tide turns and she starts taking care of you ; )

Marc RNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm

By the smile on her face, it appears that you get the “pass” on the cupcakes for school thing and probably a few other things that you can’t even imagine!
A kid brought up on the outdoors has gotta be well adjusted, even if she is a 15 yr old teenager that probably knows all there is to know :) Happy Birthday to your daughter and congrats on being a parent, something I never had the gumption to give a go!

BrianNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm

You must have been very young when you adopted her :-)

She’s going to break (fishermen’s?) hearts.

And Kaitlyn, your parents only screw you up if you let them. Nature is a wonderful teacher!

NerverackerNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Happy Brithday Kaitlyn!

IndigoNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Happy Birthday Kaitlyn! Rebecca if only I had a mother half as annoying (give me a break all mother’s are you know) I would of turned out even better.

In short (hey now stay away from my stature) the smile on your daughter’s face says it all. (Hugs)Indigo

KenNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Happy Birthday to Kaitlyn, you could have got her a bigger present though :o )

BawbNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Did bb bubba approve the pic of that little fish?

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar March 31, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Excellent! Little ones are great for helping to keep life in perspective for us older folks. Too bad they grow up so quickly….

Happy birthday! Woohoo!

trout whispererNo Gravatar April 1, 2010 at 11:07 am

15 yrs ago the world was forever changed….keep up the good work Kaitlyn …happy birthday

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar April 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Happy Birthday, Kaitlyn! Relax. Your mom doesn’t know that she will spend lots more money on you once you turn 18 than she ever did before! She’ll figure it out with your help.

nimrod243No Gravatar April 1, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Congrats to the both of you! I look forward to many more years of fishing with my son. They do grow so fast. We’re just getting started, though, I hope. I will consider my efforts successful if my son loves fishing as much as I do or more.

We have to work together to make sure the privilege of fishing gets passed on to the next generations.

I am really enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work.

RobNo Gravatar April 2, 2010 at 6:02 am

Happy B-Day Kaitlyn! When are you going to guest post for mom again?

DanNo Gravatar April 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Happy birthday Kaitlyn. Rebecca enjoy her as much as you can, she’s special.

Keep writing Idaho Dan

KaitlynNo Gravatar May 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thank you everyone!!!! And yes i believe my mom has done a good job raising me, though cooking dinner more could help……..

@Rob: I don’t really know when I’ll do another guest post. It’ll be whenever my mom lets me and I have time.

~K