March is for Recovering from a Winter Hangover

by Rebecca on March 23, 2010

in Outdoor Observations

Bandon and I ~ Smiling for Spring

I’m not sure how other people feel about this time of the year, but I’m fighting off the last lingering effects of Old Man Winter rolling me up into a nice sized cigar and smoking me for personal entertainment purposes.

I’m not an indoor person and this Lady Bear doesn’t hibernate peacefully during winter. I tend to pout and pace and if anyone believes the propaganda of my children, my lower lip starts to quiver and one eye twitches involuntarily through the whole of February.

I need the first couple of weeks in March to recuperate from the confines of winter captivity. If I can catch the hint of a few spring smelling salts like—birds returning and arguing loudly over their branch real estate—tiny buds of life on the trees—the ice cream man driving through the neighborhood blaring “Jingle Bells” on his loud speaker—my winter hangover feels instantly and indescribably better.

Now that life feels all warm and cozy again, my sights are set on the rest of the year. I have trips to take, fish to catch, hunts to partake in and adventures to experience. In the past I’ve gone about my outdoor life in a spontaneous spur of the moment manner, but this year I think things will be a bit different. My decision to go public with my fly fishing and writing has opened quite a few doors up that include actually fishing with other people. For the first time ever I’ll be traveling to meet outdoor people and having some come to my neck of the woods to experience my personal Idaho playground. The way I see it, my outdoor world just got a whole lot bigger and the new view started from this humble little website—I continue to be surprised.

For the people I’ve already corresponded with, talked on the phone with and made fishing plans….I’m extremely excited. For the people I haven’t made plans with… yet… I have only one question. Do you have a stream, a meandering river or a body of water that contains fish just waiting to be caught? Yes? If so….why haven’t you invited me to come fishing with you yet???? (insert tapping ladies foot here) I come prepared with my own tackle AND I can put a hook on my own line and untangle snags all by myself. No waterside maintenance required.

If any of you have plans to come to Idaho. Drop me a line, I’m rather new at the tour guide thing, but I happen to know where a few fish linger and I’m sure I could point out the honey holes like a seasoned cruise director.

See you on the rivers………

KenNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Looking forward to getting back to a more regular work schedule and spending time in the yard. Spring is a time of renewal, mentally and physically.

ColoradoAnglerNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm

So much water…so little time….

Time to get castin’ lady!

Um…ice cream truck playing Jingle Bells? Hmmm….yup, you need a break!

ken morrowNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I’m with you Rebecca. After spending 1995-2008 without an off-season, these past 2 winters have been HELL on me. I just got back from my first fishing trip of the season. It was cold and cloudy the whole time, and sometimes rainy. The day we left it even snowed. But I feel so much better already!

KirkNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm

It’s apparently a good thing that you’re out of the closet with your fishing obsession- sounds like you’ve got some great opportunities- make sure you ponder a visit to fish the Yak, and don’t forget the pink rod for Derek. Funny, my invitation to come fish Idaho musta got lost in the mail ; )

KirkNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Damn, my email was wrong so my last post didn’t grab my gravatar…

NerverackerNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I know just the thing to kick those winter blues. It’s called Winter Steelhead fishing! Put that 4, 5 and 6 wt on mothballs, drag out the 7 and 8 wt and string em up around December 2010 and come fish winters with me to help kick those winter blues! Oh hell, who am I kidding! The summers are already showing up! In fact, I’m heading out this afternoon to see if I can scare up an early summer. Although I smell a skunking coming on.
Any time you want to head into Western Oregon, you’ve got to let me know and we’ll kick around in one of the few rivers here that I call home! It would be a blast! Oh! and I’d supply you with some of my hand tied flies. Umm, I’ve been told by several people that they’re looking good, and I’ve actually sold a few (only because money was offered). The invitation has been extended once again.

Dave

fishingpoetNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Great post. I’ve made a commitment to being more deliberate about my time on the water too. If you want to try some water in the Finger Lakes region in upstate NY, we’ve got some great fishing.

Enjoy your new comeraderie on the water!

Cool.
Matt

nimrod243No Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I’m glad to hear (read) you are recovering. I am recovering from winter too, but unfortunately, there are other things holding me back from getting out as much as I’d like. I have some bigger “priorities” to tend to (for the time being) and then, when I feel a little more on track, I will be able to enjoy a little more fishing, I suppose… (insert image of a tear running down my cheek here).

So, when you get out and enjoy some fishing, and maybe even when you are bringing a beautiful trout to your net, you can just think, “This one is for nimrod243!”

If you could, I would really appreciate it, and maybe by that selfless act I can fish by proxy until I get my “priorities” straightened out.

And then, of course, you could write about it here for me to read.

Thanks,
-nimrod243

RebeccaNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 7:14 pm

@Ken ~ You are exactly right. Love this time of the year~

@ColoradoAngler ~ True story! Just last week the ice cream man came cruising through the neighborhood with Jingle Bells bellowing out his speaker. About that water…..so much water and by god I’m making the time =)

@Ken Morrow ~ Someone once told me the winter was downtime so one could appreciate the ‘good times’ better. I think I disagree. Winter is a yearly torture session and I’m sure I could handle 12 months of comfortable outdoor time! The good news, we made it. Glad you got out!

@Kirk ~ Cool. I’m putting the Yak on my go to list of rivers. I will also make sure and bring the pink kiddie rod (pole) for Derek. If he won’t take the pink pole in exchange for a guided trip discount, at least I know he’d get a great tip from me in the form of ‘gear’…and if you take one step into Idaho consider me inviting you, or I’m on the invite list to fish with ya~

@Nerveracker ~ Deal! Western Oregon. I even have an out of state fishing license for your state (Over a 100 bucks this year!) About those Steelhead. I’m on it.

@Fishingpoet~ New York. I hadn’t thought of fishing in that neck of the woods. The view from Idaho….Everything New York envokes visions of big lights, big city. If one day I make it out there we are going to swing lines.

@Nimrod ~ Deal. The next time I’m fishing I will do it in your honor, promise. I hope life for you gets back on the track and soon. I’ve been a bit distracted lately myself. Hang in there and steal the needed time on the water when you can.

ZachNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I just moved to montana. Hit me up if you come this way and we’ll hit the river. I’ll be in Idaho in the future as well. I’ll let ya know.

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

As usual, it’s all been said by the time I read your post. Last Thursday, I got to fish for several hours on the Kern. 2 1/2 – 3 lb rainbow on the very first cast. four or five more. Then continued on to pick up my daughter for her spring break. Came home, and have had a raging, screaming, straight-out-of-hell cold ever since. Neither good lookin’ women nor trout catch my interest at the moment. Sleep, take meds, sleep, etc. That tells you how sick I am… Hopefully everything will get better soon, ’cause this sucks. Fish and fishing and beautiful streams are right around the corner, Rebecca.

WolfyNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I’ll get my start to curing the hangover with a spinning and/or baitcaster. Hit the local ponds for panfish first. Then to Alabama for largemouth next week. It’ll still be a while until the fly gear gets to make an appearance (unless I sneak of the SW Wisconsin) but, this year, it WILL come out. And that short list includes some Idaho small streams!

AustinNo Gravatar March 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You always have a place here in NC. With Dollar so close, I’m sure the three of us could get into trouble quite well. Just remember to bring your pipe, I’ll have the homebrews, and Dollar will bring the tobacco (his own blend of course).

ScottNo Gravatar March 24, 2010 at 9:53 am

Yeah, I’ve been fighting that hangover as well… trying to push through it though regardless of cold, rain or snow since I have two more weeks of alone time… then I’ll have my permanate 8 year old fishing partner in tow. :)

There are at least couple of spots to fish around here in Bozeman… if you get over this way I hope you’ll let me know.

ClifNo Gravatar March 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Me thinks Smarch is almost over.

Regarding your trip to IL, I’ll let you substitute one picture of you holding a bass caught by fly. I may even be willing to trade a trout picture.