Intentional log jams by the Damn Otter…..

by Rebecca on January 14, 2010

in Fly Fishing Conservation

Henry's Fork ~ credit Idaho Statesman

On a political front, Idaho has had it’s fair share of embarrassing if not downright humiliating episodes in the last few years. Whether it’s toe tapping in the men’s bathroom (Craig) or joking about hunting our President (Rammell), we who live and dwell here have had to endure the disgrace of our politicians on more than one occasion.

It looks like we may be headed down the same path, again….. The news is swirling about Gov. Butch Otters proposed idea to dismantle our Parks and Recreation Department and in doing so risking our States most cherished park, Harrimans.  (Home of the famous Henry’s Fork)

Article Found here: Idaho Statesman ~ Harriman Deed puts Gov. Otters plan for parks at risk. (which can I mention, I think that’s a ridiculous headline via the Statesman. It should read, “Gov. Otter puts Harriman Park and Deed at Risk”)

Not only does Gov. Otters ploy risk the future of Harrimans State park (because the benefactors were smart enough to put conditions on their enormous gift) his plan continues on to put our State run Parks in the hands of his precious Department of Lands($$$). Every angle I view this ’proposel’ paints the potential decline of our State Parks, with Harriman being a straight loss to anglers, winter visitors and the economic stability of Eastern Idaho.

Just a side note. One I can’t help but mention….. Gov. Butch Otter, is first and foremost, a rancher, of the rancher, for the rancher……(of the private lands, range lands and $$$)

Tom Chandler posted an article about this situation on his website The Trout Underground, that I suggest others read. “Public Access to Harriman Ranch Stretch of the Henry’s Fork In Peril? (or, Time to Kick Political Butt & Leave the Name Taking For Later)”

I live in Idaho and will do what I can to help, protest, kick political butt, preserve and protect something that is precious to all Idahoans, and the visitors to our state. I encourage all Idahoans to do the same.

I also think old Butch needs a bit of out of state snarl as well…….what say you……

Lets make it really easy thanks to commenter Bill ~
Visit this link and let ‘what say you’ be heard ~
Electronic Correspondence to Governor Otter Fast and Easy ~

Once you are done there….please visit this site to sign the petition~ Keep Idaho Department of Parks & Recreation

IndigoNo Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Although not a Idaho resident, I couldn’t agree more. If Otter manages to trump this deed, where will that leave other national/state parks across the country? It’s something that ultimately will effect us all in the long run. If one politician can pull this off, I guarantee you there will be a longer line across the board and even more land and states in question.(Hugs)Indigo

RebeccaNo Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Good points Indigo ~ I can’t fathom risking our State Parks, especially one that was given, as a gift, on the condition of the State creating Parks and Recreation as a means to preserve and serve the natural habitat—for a dollar.
Once it’s gone, it’s gone and cannot be retrieved somewhere down the line during an economic upswing. There are other ways…….

ClifNo Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Call me when he tries to sell senate seat vacated by a newly elected president.

Seriously now, I don’t know a thing about trout. However, I know of Henry’s Fork. Reverting the land back to the family might be the preferable outcome when the alternative is a government body hoping to stymie the loss of tax revenue.

Would you rather the river be closed or whored out? Maybe the family would even be kind enough to donate the park to an organization willing to take over.

BillNo Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Let’s remind the governor that the state parks, and Harriman in particular, bring in huge amounts of revenue to local businesses and create thousands of jobs. The Henry’s Fork Foundation did a study that shows the Henry’s Fork brings in some $30 million annually to the area. Multiply that by the number of state parks in Idaho, and it’s clear that shutting down the department would be foolhardy. Here’s where to voice your concerns; it’s fast and easy:

DaleNo Gravatar January 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Damn, I almost fell off my chair. Lil”ole Rebecca taking a political stand.

I love it. Keep up the good work.

RebeccaNo Gravatar January 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

@Clif ~ There are a lot of what if’s out there. I would hate to see the river reverted back to the family and closed (although I can’t imagine the grandchildren would do such a thing) but you are right, the possibility that they would put it in the hands of another organization could be good. Still, a lot of what-ifs. But I’m also worried about our other Parks. Harriman was created hand in hand with our Department of Parks and Recreation.Idaho should not go back on that deal~

@Bill ~ Thank you!

@Dale ~ I know, I know, but on something like this, I can’t restrain myself.

MelNo Gravatar January 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm

As you know, I live over this way and Harriman Park is a treasure for the area that draws anglers from all over the world. Otter is a damn fool if he thinks that this plan will just fly through without public outrage. In the end, this attempt to renege on a deal from years past will haunt him for years to come in whatever the future holds in store for his sorry ass!

Zach LazzariNo Gravatar January 16, 2010 at 1:53 am

Right on! Take the stand. I’ve been wanting to visit the park for years. Bastards better not sell out.

KennaNo Gravatar January 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I may be in CA right now, but I grew up in Idaho. I KNOW the beauty it holds and… if Idaho is known for much in other places (often isn’t- haha), the best thing I’ve heard it known for is its wild beauty… wilderness that’s not found/felt like that in too many places these days. I definitely signed, added my own statement. :) Thanks for caring enough to share this!

T-DogNo Gravatar March 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Otter has backed off after the public furor over his plans. Now he says he never REALLY meant to close parks–just get the agency to cut their budget.

Get real, Butch. You are the worst Governor we have ever had!

Thanks to everyone who spoke up on behalf of Harriman Park!