I resolve, To Be Nicer to White Fish in 2010

by Rebecca on December 30, 2009

~South Fork Of the Boise River~The week between Christmas and New Years (in my humble opinion), is a blank void that seems to stretch for weeks. I’m sure others have found a meaningful and time worthy purpose for these 7 days, but I just feel a dull space before the clean slate of a new year. With nothing better to do than count the hours, my mind tends to ponder the meaning of my previous year and the potential of my upcoming year.

Maybe that’s the reason for the 52nd week. This week long holding pattern is like false casting. A time to dry off the fly, look around and think carefully about where to make the next cast. Such hang time encourages one to take stock of  their life, and the panic or inspiration (depending how one looks at it) is probably why New Year Resolutions were born in the first place……..

2009 wasn’t such a great year for me and that’s all I’m going to say about that. I know as time meanders down the swift and choppy river I feel like I’ve been drifting in, the reality will calm into still water and memory will hold passionately to the good times, the big fish, the little fish and the ones that got away.

For me, that’s what a life spent outdoors does. It eases, heals, reminds, balances and teaches. During rough times, I only need to sneak away for a few hours on a river bank to ensure that eventually good memories will supersede darker times while lifes many turmoils are carried away with the current. It’s as it should be……

I titled this entry before I started writing and although I’ve gotten sidetracked with my thoughts I think I’ll leave it. I covet some good karma for the year 2010 and I shall start cultivating those good vibes by extending a Prince Nymph to the bane of my fly fishing world. The Whitefish.

Until I read this entry over at The Unaccompished Angler, I was under the assumption that ‘all things are created equal’  didn’t actually translate to ’Whitefish included’, but looking back, perhaps I was wrong. So now, today, I offer up my first New Year resolution.

I, Rebecca Anne, lady who wields a fly rod, hereby swears not to cuss, kick water, roll my eyes, yank in or otherwise throw an un-lady-like fit when she discovers a whitefish has ruthlessly grabbed one of her flies in the year 2010.

That resolution alone should earn me three good months of slack water and calm times! Ok, never mind, subtract one month off for the negative thoughts I just had about sucker fish. I’m not ready to be nicer to them. No way, not at all, not gonna happen…this year~

RobNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Yes Rebecca, i know what you mean about by-catch or whatever they call it. Often times, it can be a pleasant surprise. Ladyfish ( which act like their cousin, the tarpon, but only grow to around 18 inches)can be quite fun, and i really wouldn’t mind if a school of jack crevales came through and spooled me. The only time i dislike this is when it’s a lizard fish or a sail cat, both which can be quite nasty….but at least you’re out doing what you love.

LarryNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Nice piece here Reb! Anybody that attacks my flies or even my ultra-lite hardware, is a very Cool fish to me. :-) 2010 is going to be your year. All the best,

LarryB

KirkNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Well, Rebecca, it’s good that you don’t buy into, or at least listen to the rubbish posted on Unaccomplished Angler (what a hack, anyway). May 2010 be a year you look back on in another year and say, “Man, what a great year. I’m sure glad I got a two hander and learnt me some Spey casts, because I’ve caught way more trash fish than ever before.” Happy New Year to you, really. Keep fishing and writing, for yourself and for those of us who enjoy your weekly offerings!

Kirk

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Don’t make New Years Resolutions, myself. Used to, but I could never keep ‘em. But I like the part about reflecting on 2009′s fishing. You may have inspired a piece in me. You’ll know, if and when you see the title.

Happy New Year to you and yours, Rebecca. May 2010 be your best year ever!

Regards,
KJ

MelNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 4:29 pm

It has been a tough and trying year for me also. We both have much better 2010′s to look forward too. I really enjoy your blog, and, that you are from Idaho is frosting on the cake. You know when I used to live over in your part of Idaho, I would spend a few weekends each winter season fishing for Whitefish on the South Fork of the Boise. Helped pass the cold of winter and enjoyed something pulling on my string. Kept the rust away from my gear and my aging bones.

Happy New Year!

WolfyNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I love the description of the week between Xmas and New Year as “a false cast” – well put.

While I don’t “like” whitefish, I tend to dislike them less than many. When you have to travel to fish out west (like I do), and often only have a part of a day to do so, whitefish have often been a savior rather than irritant. After all – I’d ALWAYS rather catch something rather than nothing. My flyfishing skills aren’t always up to the task of fooling trout, but I can usually get a whitefish to think my nymph is real.

I look forward to a 2010 reading your posts and flyfishing vicariously through your blog.

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 31, 2009 at 9:31 am

@Rob ~ A lizard fish ehhh?? Sounds like something that would cause bodily harm

@Larry ~ I’m going for your mind set this year, any (ok almost any) fish that bites is a cool fish…..repeat 3 times

@Kirk ~ I know, it’s all a load of rubbish, you are a writer afterall, not to be trusted ;-) —but sadly I’m not immune and words tend to sink in to my stubborn little mentality. My new kindness to hackle eaters is on you and if I start catching more sub-level fish well, just well. As for that Spey fishing. Stop! I can’t take the pressure….

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 31, 2009 at 9:35 am

@Kentucky Jim ~ Did you write it yet? I’m off to look as soon as I’m done here. Reflection is good, it gives hints for to the future~

@Mel ~ Thank you! And lets make 2010 a fantastic year to remember. I love heading East in our state to fish, perhaps this next season we can wet a line or two together…..care for a visitor?

@Wolfy ~ We do have a lot of whitefish out here to keep a fisherman busy. If you are ever heading through Idaho, look Mel and I up, we’ll take you fishing for whitefish anytime! We might even throw in some bonus Trout!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!

Zach LazzariNo Gravatar January 2, 2010 at 2:13 am

Good resolution. Whitefish are awesome!

whitefish edNo Gravatar January 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

watta fantastic noble gesture to aspire to! it’s nice to see more and more anglers discovering the value of the whitefish. way different today than the neanderthal days of catch ‘n croak.

trust me on this one…a whitefish will teach you how to catch more trout. pay attention to what, when, where, how, and why you picked one off, and you will see.

whitefish rule! freshwater bonefish forever!

ps…Zach. you’re awesome too brother!