Dear Santa, I hope you’re a Fly Fisherman…….

by Rebecca on December 23, 2009

Because if you are there should be no problems with my X-mas wish list:

Mr. Fly Fishing Santa, you should know that after a full season of flinging flies, my waders leak and I need new ones. The leaking is more so on the right foot than the left foot, so basically, I’ve got one damp sock and one wet sock at the end of the day. That sort of water intrusion isn’t conducive to a pleasant day, especially if it’s cold out.

I promise, I was good to my waders and this isn’t a negligence situation. Several of the rivers I enjoy have vicious vegetation hazards that like to sneak up on me and lance microscopic holes for fun. Not my fault at all! I think we should just chalk it up to basic fly fishing collateral damage.

The Simms wading boots you gave me a few years ago still rock so we’re square there…..unless you have an extra pair of boots sitting at the workshop and you want to throw them in because I’m high on the ‘good’ list this year. I wouldn’t complain or anything.

I can’t believe I’m going to ask you for this Mr. Santa Fly, but here goes. If you wrap up a fly tying kit, I hereby swear to give the whip finish another try. Now, before you say anything or go checking your list, yes, you already gave me all the fly tying gear once before. If memory serves me correct,  my hair got caught in the vice, anger ensued, elk hair went flying and the pheasant I kept plucking ran away. I’m sure I donated it all to the first Trout Bum I came across. Clearly I wasn’t old enough, mature enough or prepared for such detailed creativity back then. I’m ready to give it another go. (You can blame all the blogs I now visit that show beautiful hand tied flies and recipes that make a non-tying soul drool)

Obviously nothing I create from my new fly tying whatnots will be fish worthy anytime soon, so you might as well throw in some flies tied by your Elves. A few dozen of the usual will do. I’m sorry to go here on a X-mas list, but lets get this out of the way and clear the air. (Rumors you know) If you’re running a fly tying Elf sweat shop up there, it’s time to let the little guys out!

I’m still actively dating fly rods, so feel free to toss any sleek new sticks my direction.

My last request is a drift boat. Nothing more, nothing less, no biggie and it would fit on your sled, right? Life on the banks has been good to me, but I’d like to experience all my favorite rivers from a new angle. The few times I river hitchhiked, I really enjoyed myself so it’s time to add a new element to my fly fishing repertoire.

If it wouldn’t be too much to ask, feel free to toss in two of your most robust elves to row for me. It would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Rebecca Anne….who is most certainly on the good list and if for some reason I landed on the bad list, please send evidence, affidavits, and a notarized signature of the (nark) witness(es).

~Wishing everyone a Wonderful and Memorable Holiday Season~
May either Fly Fishing Santa, Bass Santa, Archery Santa, Hiking Santa, Hunting Santa
or Outdoors Santa visit you all.
 I have no doubts you are all on the good list….right?

Jerry MinderNo Gravatar December 23, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Becca Anne…….Soooooooo funny–so feel free to toss….HAhahahahahaha

RebeccaNo Gravatar December 23, 2009 at 11:24 pm

That probably wasn’t politically correct of me to write about tossing elves……was it ;-)

ShoremanNo Gravatar December 24, 2009 at 8:59 am

Hey Rebecca. I got a friends request on Facebook from a Rebecca …… I thought, who the heck was Rebecca ……? Then I found out it was you. Instant approval. Although I spend little time there, I have good friends. You comment on tossing elves, I should mention, on one of the computers we have I have a game called elf bowling. You think elf tossing is fun, you should see elf bowling.

KirkNo Gravatar December 24, 2009 at 9:39 am

Merry Christmas, Rebecca. I hope your stocking is half full, as opposed to half empty this year. And I hope you get that drift boat. I’m only marginally taller than an elf, and would gladly come row for you in exchange for some hand tied Olive Woolly Buggers.

WolfyNo Gravatar December 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Hope you get everything you want – Merry Christmas!

MelNo Gravatar December 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Rebecca, Merry Christmas and Happy Hook-ups from the waters of Eastern Idaho. I don’t own a drift boat either. My arms are to short to row so I wouldn’t be much fun in your new drift boat.

God Bless!

RobNo Gravatar December 28, 2009 at 9:26 am

This is hilarious…..

Holiday Wishes to you and the fam….

PS, you don’t need waders or hip boots around here….except in the winter. It’s supposed to get down to about 39 this week, which should drive the water temp down for sure.

NerverackerNo Gravatar December 28, 2009 at 11:54 am

Rebecca, I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I hope Santa was more that good to you. Santa made a few early stops at my house for me this year. Simms Guide wading boots and a new Echo Carbon 9′ 6wt with a Sage 1650 reel spooled with Rio Nymph fly line. And one late stop. I have it on great authority that he’s bringing an Echo 10′ 7wt fully equipped with a Sage 1680 spooled with Scientific Angler’s Sharkskin Steelhead Taper. Santa has been great to me this year. 2 fly rods, reels, and line. As well as some of the best wading boots EVER.
As for the dating game goes, I hope you can finally settle down. My budget won’t allow me the.. umm.. expensive girls. So, my girls are named Echo and TFO. Quality on a budget. I hope you can find the right Mr. Rod. I hear the Reddington CPX series is a hot item. Oh, have you ever given thought to building your own? That may be just what Dr. Love ordered! With some down time this winter, hell, why not? I’m actually tossing the idea around as well. Worth a shot!
I hope Santa brought you EVERYTHING you asked for and more! (The drift boat won’t go on my list for at least another year.) Merry Christmas, Rebecca and family. And a Happy New Year as well!
Oh great! there go those wonderful flies that I’ve been buying…. Good Job Rebecca! You’ve ruined it for us ALL (non fly tying people) now by tossing the elves! LOL

Dave

mrs. miss alaineusNo Gravatar January 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

rebecca this is awesome!

glad to know your new digs are treating you well and i hope the fat man in the waders was good to you !

xxalainaxx

DamianNo Gravatar February 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Really enjoyed that!! I have that santa and elves fishing as a framed cross stitch, it was given to me as a gift by my Aunt. I Love it!
Great site, look forward to digging into the content further!
Damian.