Fly Fishing Identity: FlyLady? Flychick? Flygirl?

by Rebecca on October 24, 2009

~Flyfishing on the Boise River~

~Flyfishing on the Boise River~

Men have it easy in this department and I imagine they have never looked at this name thing from a female perspective. They are Flyfisherman. A.K.A. Fisherman, the universal meaning for those that cast a line. Considering guys started the activity, I guess it’s only fair they get the easiest designation. But when you are female, the lines of personal name possesion become a bit fuzzy.

Hi~ My name is Rebecca and I am a Flyfisher–er, umm–man? Sort of, but that’s a fairly manly designation and I wear a bra so next….

There’s Flyfisherperson. A general sort of claim. But I don’t think so. That is like getting the generic version of a G. Loomis fly rod. No matter how you hold it, it’s just not the same.

Flygoddess? Flyfishchicklet? Flygirl? Only if I want to get laughed off the river or drowned in a lake…(it’s the company I keep, the guys I fish with would harrass me endlessly if I tried something like those. I believe it’s because they view me as, ‘just one of the guys’ sort of deal)

Flyfisherwoman? Flyfishingfemale? Flyfishlady? Fly Fishing WOman? Perfectly respectable designations I suppose.

When all else fails, I am a politically correct fishing person of the female anatomy who carries fly rod and throws fake flies? (Thankfully politically correct usually never applies on the water)

This name thing may seem trivial when it comes time to skip flies across the water, and it is, but when I’m writing, when I’m talking to someone off the bank, I always get stuck on this simple act of title possesion. I suppose Fly fishing woman is the go too standby, but it’s also a mouth full and frankly, I think it’s formal, stiff and sounds like I should be standing on a podium rather than a riverbank.

I am Rebecca, I am a fly fishing WOMAN, hear me zing a fly line 3 inches from your ear, sort of moment.

I think I’m writing about this today because I’ve been fishing all my life, flyfishing for the past 14 or so years and I’ve yet to discover the perfect word sequence that sounds… just right. This entry falls into an irrelevant meandering category that happens to annoy me at times. It happens, annoyance that is. Of course I can live with this name annoyance. There are loads of other annoyances to be found out on the actual riverbank I have a hard time with, but that’s a whole ‘nother blog entry…..

How about, I am Rebecca and none of this matters except the fact I fling fake flies fanatically.

Lizzy aka The FisherbabeNo Gravatar October 27, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I say you’re a fisherbabe…just like me :)

She's So Fly - Sherri RussellNo Gravatar October 27, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Great article Rebecca! I am going to do a feature and advertise your blog on mine with this article. Keep writing fly fishng WOMAN.

trout whispererNo Gravatar October 28, 2009 at 12:18 pm

when a woman takes up the “fat line” the very act transcends the title of fisherMAN…..it loses it requirements for a mans need for nomenclature…..thus it is…hes a fisherman … shes just fishing….once again the fairer sex….is the dropper and the dry

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm

The poetry of your comment Trout Whisperer is enough to make me at peace with….just fishing. A fisher.
I like it

Cutthroat Stalker (Scott)No Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 9:01 am

Just came across your site–very enjoyable.

You could come up with something cutesy where you don’t have to worry about gender: trout maven, pike pursuer, cutthroat stalker (oops, already taken), etc. Or, you could try to work the gender issue like the ones in your post.

However, it’s kind of like most of us who insist our fishing be linked to the word “fly.” I wonder why we fly anglers often insist on that word “fly” be in there? I’m certainly guilty when some asks (or states), “Oh, you like to fish?” I’m quick to add, “FLY fish.” It’s that snobby thing, I guess.

As a guy, I have no idea how that must feel, as a lady, to frequently have “-man” attached to things I do: fisherman, outdoorsman, chairman, etc. I can imagine if I group up in a world where everything was “-lady”: fisherlady, outdoorslady, chairlady, etc. That’s gotta stink. Even fe”male” and wo”man”–geez!

Anyhow, I would say you are an angler. If you must insist on using “fly,” then you are a fly angler.

Keep up the great posts!

-scott c

Unaccomplished Angler (Kirk)No Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 4:56 pm

How about Angleress?

Glad I found your blog!

Kentucky JimNo Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Angler is non-gender specific. How about Flyfisher? Again, non-gender specific.

RebeccaNo Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Scott, Kirk & Jim ~
First, thank you for coming by and offering up your advice!
Second, I’m going to test them all out. After a mini-convesation on Twitter last night I discover that perhaps I’ve been going about this all wrong. Basically, I’ve been trying to replace the ‘man’ part of the word sequence and maybe, I just need to cut off the man (nicely of course) part entirely and just be she who is a Fly Fisher~

Unaccomplished Angler (Kirk)No Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 8:56 pm

There’s really no simple solution, though your proposal to cut off the man part (cringe!) seems to make sense. “Fly Fisher” is certainly easier to type or say than One Who Engages in Fly Fishing.

tonbonNo Gravatar October 31, 2009 at 8:05 pm

i’ve always used “flyfisher”, as opposed to “baitfisher”, or “wormfisher”.
no gender, just me.
man

Bill DuPriestNo Gravatar November 1, 2009 at 8:35 am

I vote for flyfisher, but only in the company of other fishing fans.

Otherwise, some salacious minds might get the wrong impression (an

old-time newspaper reporter taught me to think dirty when editing.)

Richard ComerfordNo Gravatar November 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I’d say that as a female flyfisher, you deserve the title angler. After all was it not a woman, Dame Juliana Berners, who first chronicled the art in “Treatyse of fysshynge wyth an Angle”? Personally, I believe that what matters most in this pastime is how well you fish; gender is of no concern.

PlantDrEMBNo Gravatar November 2, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I and other women who fish have this discussion every so often. I also struggle with it as the nesletter editor of the Columbia Basin Fly Casters based in the TriCities, WA (Benton, CO) Oddly enough when our club founders chose “Casters” there were no women in the club. I usually use fly fisher, fly angler or fly caster. enjoying your writing. tight lines -eb

RobNo Gravatar November 4, 2009 at 3:08 pm

FluffChucker???

BrianNo Gravatar February 14, 2010 at 4:06 am

It’s obvious:

“A lady who fly fishes”

They always catch bigger fishes too . .

PollyNo Gravatar April 29, 2010 at 2:52 am

I totally agree.

BillNo Gravatar June 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

My name is Rebecca and I am a serious flyfishing enthusiast!!